VMware Communities
Umairlakho
Contributor
Contributor

How do i connect a MS 2003 server to a XP client?

Hey Guyz!

I m new to VMware world, i want to connect a Win 2003 server to Xp client. How could i do this by using virtual network editor?

quick reply need !!

Cherrs!!

Umi

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JimPeluso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What are you trying to actually do? I'm not sure what you mean by connect a 2003 server to an XP Client??? If you mean run a VM of Windows Server 2003 from an XP workstation then you can use VMware Server or use a trial of VMware Workstation. I'd go the workstation route if you are interesting in learning about virtualization it's a powerful tool and not to expensive.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Umi, welcome to the VMware Communities forums. Could you post which VMware product you're using? Your post can then be moved to the appropriate forum.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
Umairlakho
Contributor
Contributor

Hey!

I am using workstation 7.1, senario is i have installed Virtual machines of Server 2003 and XP, i want to make a connection between them to perform labs of ISA 2006, I am unable to make a XP Client of that VM 2003 server. I dont knwo how to add this XP machine to make it as client. Also suggest any good tutorial for undertanding ISA 2006 on VM Workstation.

Thanks!!

Umi

0 Kudos
Umairlakho
Contributor
Contributor

I am using Workstation 7.1

0 Kudos
JimPeluso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you should be able to create a team add both VMs then put them on the same LAN. Then you could give them the correct IP Scheme and should be all set to make connections.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To gain a better understanding of the Virtual Network Infrastructure I suggest you read Chapters 14 (Configuring a Virtual Network) & 15 (Advanced Virtual Networking) in the Workstation User's Manual.

You can then use the Virtual Network Editor to modify one of the VMnets, other then the default VMnet1 & VMnet8, if you want to keep the Network the Guests are going to be on separate, and then assign the target VMnet to each VM's Network Adapter settings.

As far as working with Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2006 in a Virtual Machine it's basically no different then on a Physical Machine and there is plenty of documentation available through Microsoft and other resources as this really isn't a VMware Workstation issue per se.

0 Kudos