VMware Communities
ScottyBoy97
Contributor
Contributor

How do I view my host's battery info in the guest?

I am running vmware workstation 8 on my Windows 7 host and my guest is Mac OS X Lion. Even though I set vmware to report the battery information to the guest, I can't see my battery. So every time I want to check my battery I have to exit full screen so I can go back to the host and then go back into my guest. Is there any way to get this working so I can just view the battery status in my guest?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

ScottyBoy97 wrote: I am running vmware workstation 8 on my Windows 7 host and my guest is Mac OS X Lion.

First of all VMware does not support running any version of Mac OS X under VMware Workstation and secondly Apple's SLA for Mac OS X Lion, specifically section 2B(iii), requires it be virtualized while running under Mac OS X Lion itself much less compliance with all other SLA requirements like installed on Apple-branded hardware, etc.  So since VMware Workstation runs under Windows and your not virtualizing Mac OS X Lion on apple branded hardware while running under Mac OS X Lion then help cannot be provided to you as it could/would be deemed a violation of the VMware Community Terms of Use in the use case scenario you're attempting.

0 Kudos
Naki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Woody, I am curious - does this work if you have a Windows 7 Host OS + WinXP/Vista/Windows 7 Guest?

Is it an extra line (setting) that needs to be added to the VMX file of the Guest OS(es)?

0 Kudos
ScottyBoy97
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not Woody but I don't know because I'm not using any of those virtual machines

0 Kudos
bgrumbin
Contributor
Contributor

I can't comment on the Mac OS situation because I do nothing with Mac, only versions of Windows and freeBSD.  But the way I have my VMware installed, the window in which it runs is smaller than the screen on my Win7 machine.  The result is that I can always see the task bar on my host Win7 which includes the battery information you were asking about.  The controls for screen fitting are VMware controls at the top of your virtual machine.  Set them so that your guest window is smaller than your host screen and you should have continuous access to your battery information.

0 Kudos