How do I turn on the 'in-guest recording control' feature in Workstation

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The “in-guest recording control” is not exposed in product at this time. Keep in mind that the Record/Replay of Virtual Machine Activity is (Experimental Support)[/b] at this time. The Record/Replay is available in the product as a technical preview.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Under the VM menu, click replay, record.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

First you need to go to VM > Settings > Options > Snapshot/Replay > Enable record and replay.

0 Kudos
Baskin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey thanks for the info, I know how to turn on the recor/replay feature...

I am referring to Steve Herrods blog below...

http://blogs.vmware.com/sherrod/2007/04/the_amazing_vm_.html

He states:

We’ve also added “in-guest recording control”. This lets guest software start and stop VM Record/Replay itself. For example, an ISV might ship their beta software in a VM and have it invoke recording when someone uses a specific feature that has a history of sporadic problems in the field. Should a beta user hit a problem while running this feature, the log of full activity is present. They email it to the ISV and voila… there is now a deterministic case of the bug for developers to work on!

I've looked in the kb's and the workstation manual etc and also googled it on the net and the only other reference to "in-guest recording control" that I can find is the above blog.

Does anyone know how this to activate this?

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

K, so you're asking how to call the API from within a guest to trigger it as mentioned.

Well, first thing that comes to mind is the artical was based on a beta, and it may not be currently available - the FAQ etc doesnt mention that you can trigger it from within the guest. However, Id check out the API calls for it, thats where its most likely found.

KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The “in-guest recording control” is not exposed in product at this time. Keep in mind that the Record/Replay of Virtual Machine Activity is (Experimental Support)[/b] at this time. The Record/Replay is available in the product as a technical preview.

0 Kudos
Baskin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a million, this answers my question

0 Kudos