VMware Communities
thinkcell
Contributor
Contributor

How do I transfer files to and from a shared VM?

Shared VMs apparently do not support clipboard sharing, drag and drop or shared folders. If shared VMs are used for a closed test environment, how can files be made available to a virtual machine and how can I get out result files?  Specifically, we need to get new versions of software into the test environment and get output files back out of the test environment for further analysis.  Any tips are appreciated, Michael

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gregtrea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can the shared VMs ping each other? If they can use the standard OS share methods, CIFS for Windows or NFS for 'Nix. If you have a mix you can set up an FTP server on one of the boxs or Samba on the 'Nix box.

0 Kudos
thinkcell
Contributor
Contributor

By design, there is no network connectivity between the host environment and the virtual machines, hence the problem. When not using Workstation 8's Shared VM feature, it is possible to use Workstation's shared folder functionality to transfer files into and out of the virtual machines. As this is disabled for Shared VMs, I am looking for an alternative solution.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

What about mounting a NFS-share on the host computer and create a vmdk that can be a drive in the vm?

You will have to worry about integrity of the files but maybe if each person creates a folder that he/she can control over?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos