VMware Communities
raVMuser
Contributor
Contributor

How do I setup images to create two subnets?

Hello,

I am using VMWare Workstation to create W2K3 images. I need to do a very easy test of our in house software using 2 subnets (test getting user transactions from one subnet to another). I am not too familiar with networking and I would like to know if anyone has any instructions or tips that I could use to configure my image with a subnet different than my company's LAN. Then I could test between the two.

Thank you.

~ Joshua

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to Workstation forum.

Set your VMs to use one of the unused, private VMnet switches (2-7, 9 by default) to create a guest-only network segment. This will entirely isolate the network traffic from the host and your external LAN.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

I need to do a very easy test of our in house software using 2 subnets (test getting user transactions from one subnet to another).

This requires a router, this is what a router does, it routes IP traffic between two different subnets

hstagner
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello raVMuser,

The other replies are correct. Just set up two different host-only (Private) VMnet switches. Now to route between them (for testing), I usually set up a windows machine with Routing and Remote Access(RRAS) enabled and configured to act as a router (dual-homed VM, one vNIC for each subnet).

I hope this helps.

Don't forget to use the buttons on the side to award points if you found this useful (you'll get points too).

Regards,

Harley Stagner

----------------------------------------- Don't forget to mark this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful (you'll get points too). Regards, Harley Stagner VCP3/4, VCAP-DCD4/5, VCDX3/4/5 Website: http://www.harleystagner.com Twitter: hstagner