VMware Communities
mjhock
Contributor
Contributor

How do I optimize memory allocation and processor/cores numbers on Workstation Pro

I'm using Workstation 12.5 running on a dual Xeon with 32Gb and 10 cores per processor. The virtualization options are all enabled in my BIOS. I have a fresh Windows 10 image running virtually. It runs much slower than expected. Even clicking the Start button is associated with an undesirable delay. I started out with the recommended memory settings and the default processor/cores. I pushed up the memory allocation to somewhere between "Recommended" and "Maximum", about half way. I increased the Processors to 2 and Cores per processor to 4. Still the virtualized OS exhibits a frustrating delay doing even simple tasks such as clicking the Start button.

Is there a document which guides the "tuning" of these settings? Or, is it just trial and error.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Welcome at the VMware community forums.

Are you running AVG or Avast antivirus at the host OS?

If so then see:

XP VM suddenly slow, Win 7 fine

for a solution on using both antivirus products along with VMware

If you are running BitDefender 2017 at the host then the only solution that I am aware about is to uninstall and revert to an older version of BitDefender.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos