VMware Communities
chucksel-conife
Contributor
Contributor

How do I join a PC with Workstation 6.5 to domain of virtual SBS2003 server on SAME PC?

Hi all,

Economic conditions at my home require me to skinny down the PG&E electric bill. My current server running the house 24x7 with a 330 jigga-watt power supply needs to go and my 8GB Vista 64 PC will need to run the instance of SBS2003 for e-mail and file sharing etc.

So, I have a virtual instance of the server now on the Vista PC and I have joined the Vista 64 PC to the domain and rebooted. Problem is is that I have a Catch-22 where I cannot find a domain controller to authenticate to and cache the credentials at least one time so that I can power up the SBS2003 DC and be on my merry way.

Quandry....quagmire......Any suggestions? :smileygrin:

-Power-pecked in SF-

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

If I followed you correctly your domain member (the host) is up before the DC (guest) is?

In this case you only can use the cached account to log on. As Workstation depends on an active desktop you can't have the DC running before you have logged on.

Smiley Happy What about using Linux on the host and putting both Windows systems on VMware? Smiley Happy

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
CagaRegras
Contributor
Contributor

You can run WMware Workstation as a service very easy, but there are some things you must do before, and test throughoutly before you join your physical host to the virtualized domain controller, or even more throughoutly if you plan to use it as a second DC:

1) The simple (simple because you could use some Microsoft tools contained in Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools) way to run Workstation as a service is utilizing XYNTService:

Instructions: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/xyntservice.aspx

Windows download: http://www.bitwiseim.com/wiki/index.php?title=Trick:_BitWise_Routing_Server_as_a_Windows_Service

2) After setting up the desired virtual Domain Controller and checking it is running properly as a service, you MUST (this is crucial) create the VMware user and the VMware group accounts (check their correct names) in Active Directory, because after you join the virtual Domain, VMware Workstation will not run without those accounts. It happened to me, and I had to reinstall everything, as my credentials were not cached and I was unable to sign in and create the accounts!

3) After testing everything, run DCPROMO and turn your host a second Domain Controller.

Hope it helps. I'll appreciate any correction.

0 Kudos