VMware Communities
Stabs
Contributor
Contributor

How do I install VMware Tools in order to Enable Shared Folders

Going on 3 days of trying to Enable Shared Folders for my VMware Workstation 15 Pro v.15.5.7

To enable the Shared Folders, it states the following:

"To modify shared folders while the virtual machine is powered on, VMware Tools must be installed and running in the guest operating system"

Searched for how to do this, no solution found works. 

My install VMware Tools... section under the VM tab is greyed out.

Any assistance to make this work is greatly appreciated, so that I can finally select my Siemens Step 7 program files I need to work on.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Stabs 

Moderator: Please try and create threads in the area for the product used - moved to Workstation Pro Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Ray_CJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is your guest operating system?  If it's windows, you have two options that go something like this:

1) From within the guest operating system, visit the VMware site and obtain the version of tools for your guest OS.   Once obtained, run the installer package from within the guest OS.  Reboot guest OS.  You're done.

2) From the host OS, visit the VMware site and obtain the ISO image of tools appropriate for your guest OS.  In the VM hardware settings for the target guest, create a CD drive and set the CD's options to point to the ISO image that you obtained.   Once that is done, the CD will be visible from inside the guest.  Access it and the tools package should be available -and I believe it will auto-run and self-install.

If your guest OS is Linux-based, you'll follow a procedure like #2 above but, you'll need to perform the installation according to the type of Linux you have (i.e. RPM, Yum, etc).

Ray C.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> section under the VM tab is greyed out.

Did you use "easy install" ?
Maybe the cleanup of the vmx-file was incomplete ?

0 Kudos
Stabs
Contributor
Contributor

Only problem with this, I cannot connect to the internet via VMware Guest operating system.

Therefore, I'm dead in the ware on step 1.

0 Kudos
Stabs
Contributor
Contributor

FYI, my virtual machine is utilizing Windows 7.

0 Kudos
Stabs
Contributor
Contributor

This is what I am trying to accomplish.

Stabs_0-1607691995429.png

I need to set up shared folders for my virtual machine in order to access my program files.

My program files are downloaded to my host PC from my company servers.

As you can see in the picture, my shared folders are disabled and not accessible. The message states the following: "To modify shared folders while the virtual machine is powered on, VMware Tools must be installed and running in the guest operating system."

Everything I've tried via the Help files has not worked.

When I used to utilize virtual machines a few years back, shared folders was always enabled, therefore, I never had to deal with this.

0 Kudos
xizhang
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, Stabs

For win7 VM, you need to install microsoft pathes for vm vmtools installation . Please refer to the known issue as mentioned in https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/16/rn/VMware-Workstation-16-Pro-Release-Notes.html... hope it could help.

0 Kudos