VMware Communities
marvinb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How do I install 64 bit vmware workstation 9 on a win 7 64 bit os

I am trying to load the 64 bit version of the workstation 9 on a windows 7 64 bit system.

I down loaded the bundle (VMware-workstation-full-9.0.0-812388.exe) that has both the 64 bit and the 32 bit.  When I run the install, it puts it in

the C:\Programs(x86) folder which I am under the impression is for 32 bit applications.

I have two questions

1) How do I determine what version of workstation (64 or 32) i have loaded?

2) if it is the  32, how do a force the 64 bit installation ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation is both 32-bit an 64-bit.  On 64-bit Host's it uses a 64-bit vmware-vmx process with it the back-end and Virtual Machine itself however the front-end GUI is 32-bit.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation is both 32-bit an 64-bit.  On 64-bit Host's it uses a 64-bit vmware-vmx process with it the back-end and Virtual Machine itself however the front-end GUI is 32-bit.

0 Kudos
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That is normal.  The Workstation UI is a 32-bit executable, so that's why the installer defaults to the Program Files (x86) directory.

continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@ mdunn-vmware

This question comes up quite often - a few lines of explanation on the down load page would help a lot

0 Kudos