VMware Communities
EricPBlack
Contributor
Contributor

How do I fix: 'VMware Tools Setup Wizard ended prematurely'?

Hi,

I have VMware Workstation 15.0.2 build 10952284 on Windows 10. The guest OS is Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64.

I am trying to update the VMware tools on the guest OS. It gets most of the way through the installation, then pauses at Starting Services, and says it is rolling back. I get the message "VMware Tools Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified." There are no further details about the error. I see VMware tools is not installed (not listed in the Programs and Features Control Panel, and there is no VMWare folder under C:\Program Files (x86).

I have searched for this error message and come up with some forum messages and KB articles like Troubleshooting a failed VMware Tools installation in a Guest Operating System (1003908). I tried the suggestions in the article, like verifying the correct OS is selected, using the correct ISO, the iso isn't corrupted (it works with my other VMs), and manually removing registry entries. I also tried deleting the files in the %Temp% folder, running setup64.exe as administrator, choosing custom or complete installation. I also tried running setup64.exe /c to do an uninstall, but it says it does not detect any installation to remove.

I was getting the same error on several VMs with the previous version of VMWare workstation (15.0.1?) but I installed the minor upgrade to 15.0.2 and that fixed the problem on the other VMs (which are mostly clones of the same Windows 7 Ultimate VM). I don't know why this one VM (that I've found so far) is still a problem.

Thanks,

Eric

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EricPBlack
Contributor
Contributor

I just found the install log file in the %Temp% folder. I've attached it. I see a number of failed items, so I'm not sure which are normal and which might be the problem. Is it odd there's a 30sec delay between the following two lines?

2018-12-19T13:28:26.396-05:00| instUtils-build-9925305| I0: Done System Version

2018-12-19T13:28:57.035-05:00| instUtils-build-9925305| I0: VMSetRealVersionNT running

Eric

0 Kudos
haiweiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, Eric:

This 30sec delay is normal, because VMware installer try to interactive with OS's installer service.

From your log, the vmci driver install failed, it may caused by the very old vmci driver exist or there have conflict product in this VM.

Please upload this file: C:\Users\citect\AppData\Local\Temp\vmmsi.log_20181219_132958_Failed.log or C:\ProgramData\VMware\logs\vmmsi.log_20181219_132958_Failed.log, they should have same content.

Moreover, you can try to uninstall old vmtools first, then reboot VM, install new vmtools again.

-Haiwei.

0 Kudos
philcoza
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I ran into a similar problem recently, if you can perhaps assist as I have tried numerous things. I am not sure completely to interpret the log file but seems issues with the adapters, and not finding a specific adapter. I also deleted a register entry and that might be a problem why, but please have a look at the log file.

Thanks if you can assist?

0 Kudos
ethrvander
Contributor
Contributor

I had this same issue. Installing all updates from Windows Update solved the issue for me.

0 Kudos