VMware Communities
TachoKnight
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I enable ESX compatibility in Workstation?

Hi all-

I just upgraded from Workstation 6 to 6.5 and something is still flummoxing me: I want to create guest machines that are ESX compatible so that I can configure/test/etc on Workstation and then move it to our ESX machine. When creating a new VM the "ESX Server Compatible" checkbox is always greyed out, regardless of hardware compatibility setting. Also, under the Workspace tab of the preferences dialog, "ESX Server Compatible" is permanantly greyed out as well.

The physical machine is capable of running 64-bit guests (and has done so under Workstation 6 wonderfully) and I installed the 64-bit bundle of 6.5, so I know 64-bit is not the issue. The documentation does not seem to indicate how to turn it on (ESX doesn't even merit a mention in the index!) and searching on the VMware website, as well as Googl'ing around, has revealed nothing to say why or how to make an ESX-compatible guest.

Thanks for any infomation on this,

Ron

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You need to set the hardware compatibility to Workstation 5 before the checkbox enables.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You need to set the hardware compatibility to Workstation 5 before the checkbox enables.

0 Kudos
TachoKnight
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, yes, that does work (at least, it enables the checkbox...I am going to test the move later). Seems strange, though, that ESX would only be compatible with a WS 5 version and not 6, considering that 6 has been out for awhile as well as ESX 3. Oh well, thanks!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

One more thing to keep in mind.

ESX uses much older virtual hardware than latest Workstations.

ESX can't handle IDE-disks, Sound and USB-devices.

So don't add those devices to a VM that you want to use with ESX later.

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
fastie81
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

just to put my penny in.

I had loads of trouble using the ws5 option it just did not want to import to ESX

The best is to just do it VMware Converter.

Chris

0 Kudos
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I had issues too until I set the disks to be pre-created ("allocate all disk space now") rather than expanding.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos