VMware Communities
jude_wong
Contributor
Contributor

How do I convert a Parallels (version 6) VM to VMware Workstation?

Hi,

I installed VMware vCenter Converter Standalone (5.1.0 build-1087880) trying to convert a VM from Parallels 6 to VMware Workstation.

However, after selecting the pvs file, the converter complained that "The source configuration file is invalid, corrupted or not recognized".

Does this mean that the converter does not support conversion of Parallels 6 VM?  If so, will the next converter update support this?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Jude.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Are you still able to run the Virtual Machine under Parallels? Looks like the pvs file is damaged. If you still have parallels 6, try to create a new Virtual Machine using the existing hdd file which contains the Windows OS.

Once you have done that try using the standalone convertor using the new pvs file.

-----

I havent tested this as i dont have parallels VM currently..

have you tried opening the hdd / pvs file directly using File > Open in Workstation itself?

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
jude_wong
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still able to run the VM in Parallels.  I created a new VM using the existing HDD file but the converter displayed the same error message.

I could not open a pvs file nor attach a HDD file (Parallels) in Workstation.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

in that case run the windows under parallels. Install the standalone convertor inside Windows like any other application. Run the convertor with admin rights and virtualize the Parallels VM.

For steps refer

Standalone convertor

Cheers! Avanish