VMware Communities
flit
Contributor
Contributor

How do I assign dns servers via VMware?

Hi all,

I tried to assign DNS servers in VMware by editing the vmnetdhcp.conf file,

I entered the IP address of the DNS server in: option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.x;

but it is not working, the Virtual Machines aren't getting the configuration.

Can anybody please help me out?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Attach a copy of the %ALLUSERSDATA%\VMware\vmnetdhcp.conf file.  Typically: C:\ProgramData\VMware\vmnetdhcp.conf

NOTE: DO NOT copy and paste the contents of the .conf file into the body of a reply!  Use the "Use advanced editor" link in the upper right corner of the normal reply window to bring up the Advanced Editor where you'll be able to attach files via the Choose File button or Browse button (depending on the Browser) above the Post Message button! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
flit
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the file

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The edits look okay however did you first stop the VMware DHCP Server Service, make the edits and then restart the VMware DHCP Server Service?  Or did you just make the edits and nothing else?

0 Kudos
flit
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I stopped the VMware DHCP Server Service first, made the edits then restart. I even

rebooted my computer.

Or did you just make the edits and nothing else?

I also edited the VMware Network Adapters in Windows, I added 192.168.1.2 as Preferred DNS server.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Are the Virtual Machines able to ping 192.168.1.2?

0 Kudos
flit
Contributor
Contributor

Yes Sir

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Where is 192.168.1.2 coming from, something physical or virtual and what is it explicitly? 

0 Kudos
flit
Contributor
Contributor

192.168.1.2 is a Windows 7 Machine it is also the host OS and I have BIND installed on it. The only

way I can ping the domain names on Windows 7 is by manually adding nameserver 192.168.1.2 in

/etc/resolv.conf on the OpenBSD Virtual machine for example.

Here is my network diagram:

Topology.jpg

0 Kudos