VMware Communities
Mike09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I access guest "localhost" server from Host?

Hello world. Smiley Happy

I am a web developer and we use vms to test changes in web sites.

Currently, I am working on a win vista host with vm ware workstation v7 installed.

I have configured a win XP Pro SP2 guest with XAMPP.

I would like to access guest localhost from host.

Host is connected to internet through a gateway (eth).

Guest is configured to access the network as bridged (replicating phisical network connection state).

I've tried:

1. Get guest IP through ipconfig and browse it from Host. No good

2. Other vm-network settiong like NAT or Host-Only. Same problem.

3. I have access from guest to Host localhost, and I am also able to connect guest through Remote Desktop.

I am sure this has been asked several times. However, I just can't find the way to access guest server.

Any help will be appreciated.

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the Guest is configured as Bridged and has basic Internet/Network Connectivity yet the Host cannot access it then check the Firewalls on both the Host and the Guest.  Then ping each others respective IP Addresses and if you can ping and then not reach the XAMPP resources then check the (XAMPP) configuration.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the Guest is configured as Bridged and has basic Internet/Network Connectivity yet the Host cannot access it then check the Firewalls on both the Host and the Guest.  Then ping each others respective IP Addresses and if you can ping and then not reach the XAMPP resources then check the (XAMPP) configuration.

0 Kudos
Mike09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ, thank you for your response. Smiley Happy

It was the guest firewall what was blocking the access.

I've just addedd a new entry to personal vm ware tips.

However, some images (jpg files mostly) are not being displayed. I'm sure this has something to do with permission. Do you know where to unblock/allow this feature?

Greetings,

Mike

0 Kudos
Mike09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

=== SOLVED ===

The images sources in guest were like http://localhost/.../image.jpg that why they were unable to display from host (or anywhere different form guest).

Thanks.

Regards.

Mike

0 Kudos