VMware Communities
wv_sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How could I do to VMware installed in linux forgot the remote host user and password.

Hello,

A few days before than now, when I wrote the host server ip and port, user and password, I pressed remember this data connection button when it was asked to me. Now, always that I run vmware workstation pro and press the host configured the data for login are always remembered.

I have tried to delete that host fom known host, but when I configure this host again with the same data, close vmware, open vmware and press the new host configured then the data for login are still remembered by the system.

Is there any file in /etc/vmware/ or other directories that I should have to modify or delete to forget forever the login data for this host?

Thank you very much. 🙂

0 Kudos
15 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@wv_sp 

What type of host (including version) are you trying to connect to?

Do you have any screenshots to show what is happening?

What version of Workstation are you using?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
wv_sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5.7 ¡The best! 🙂

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@wv_sp 

That answered 1 of my 3 questions, 2 to go...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
wv_sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I usually use in both, (server, client), the VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5.7. Both too client and server in linux.

And I don't have any screenshot but I could take some if it was completely necessary.

🙂

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@wv_sp 

I still have no idea what "server" or "host" you're trying to connect to.

wv_sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello @scott28tt , thank you very much by your answers.

Here a screenshot with the data that I want that vmware deletes or forgets forever, but I don't know how to do that, or if it is possible to do it.

🙂

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@wv_sp 

I'm going to step out of this thread, I still don't know what your "server" / "host" is.

wv_sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@scott28tt 

Excuse to me, please, but I can't understand what you need to know to help to me. The host is a linux system running VMWare Workstation Pro v.12.5.7

😔

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@wv_sp 

But what is the "server"? Is it running ESXi? Is it running Workstation? You mentioned "host server" in the initial post without saying what it actually was.

As I mentioned, I'm tapping out of this thread.

wv_sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@scott28tt 

The host system is a linux system, running VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5.7., with some some shared vm's inside.

0 Kudos
wv_sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you don't want or can't help to me to know that I need to know, I will understand it.

Only I have thought that this was a good thing to know and by it I came into vmware communities.

0 Kudos
Ray_CJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't know how to make VMware forget the login name and password.  I am curious about this myself.   If you are concerned about security, you can change the login information to false information.

First, enable autologin.

Next, select "Change User..."

Ray_CJ_2-1608253027045.png

​Then set the User Name to some non-sense name and remove the password.

Ray_CJ_0-1608252942445.png

After you hit OK, go back to the Settings-Autologin option and press Disable.

It still seems to remember the User name but at least, it is a bad name and NULL password so, you have security.

Ray

0 Kudos
wv_sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@Ray_CJ @scott28tt 

Hello,

Thank you very much by your answer. But that is not that exactly I was looking for. The Ray's explanation is about change the guest autologin, but for one specific virtual machine.

What I am looking for is a bit different. I will try once more time to explain myself the clearest as I can.

1º) In a local network, you have a pc and a notebook both with different ip.

2º) In the pc you have linux running vm's with VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5.7, the vm's hosted in this pc are linked as shared virtual machines, (vmInventory.xml) and (datastores.xml), both files into /etc/vmware/

3º) In the notebook you have linux running VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5.7 and to connect to the server ip, port, user and password.

Before, when I was going to connect to the server from notebook with VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5.7, when I filled all server data and pushed the button connect to server. There was a message about certificate to trust, then also asked if that credentials must be kept forever for futures connections, then one day a pushed Yes Remember Credentials forever. Then I would like to know if is possible modify this behaviour of the software.

It is all. I would wish to find a solution different to clear hdd and reinstall S.O.

0 Kudos
Ray_CJ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am not familiar with shared VMs because I'm only familiar with Workstation since version 16.  Versions 16 does not support shared VMs.

Maybe this will help.  If the device that remembers the credentials is a Windows OS, open the "Credential Manager" and see if the login information is stored there.   If so, you can delete that credential entry if you have administrator rights.

Regards

Ray

0 Kudos
wv_sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@Ray_CJ 

Thank you very much!

I will think about config a new S.O. with a fresh VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5.7.

🙂

0 Kudos