VMware Communities
Esika
Contributor
Contributor

How communication occurs among virtual servers?

Dear Community members,

I have a system where there are five virtual servers. In each server there is an web-server which includes an application software. The softwares in the five virtual machines will work as a single system or single software. My question is how the web-servers communicate and send, receive data among them, which technology will be best suited in this case like socket, message passing, message queing etc.? I don't have any previous work experience in this filed. Please help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
peetz
Leadership
Leadership

Esika,

your question does not look very specific to virtualization, so this might not be the right place to ask it.

All, I can say from a VMware perspective is: If all these virtual servers run on the same ESX host then make sure that they are also connected to the same virtual switch. This way the network communication among them will never leave the host and thus will have maximum performance.

Andreas

- Check out my VMware Front Experience Blog

Twitter: @VFrontDe, @ESXiPatches | https://esxi-patches.v-front.de | https://vibsdepot.v-front.de
0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

You may ask the application vendor what to use best? Which VMware plattform do you use? Do you have any problems regarding basic communication we may help with?

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Esika
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to both Peetz and AWo. Actually the requirement of my system is data or any event should not be lost during data transaction. So when one server send data to another server is it possible that the communication mechanism the servers using have the facility of data preservation? Or atleast the communication line stores data until the receiver receives it? My question is not for any specific VMware platform, its in general because after finding proper technologies to match with my requirements I will going to establish the system. Sorry to disturb you both again.

0 Kudos
afertmann
Contributor
Contributor

Esika,

If you are asking for the network data flow I can help you. 

If all the VMs of that system are on the same subnet and reside on the same vSwitch, the network traffic for the VMs communicating with one another never leave your host.  All the TCP traffic stays in the network stack of the host.  This is very fast.  However, if your VMs are on different subnets, then when they have to communicate with each other they have to hit the default gateway of that network which typically resides on some type of network equipment outside your esx host (unless you are running a router as a VM inside your host.  If this is the case, again the traffic will reside in the network stack of the ESX server.)  Lastly, if you want to speed up communications if your VMs reside on different subnets in the same ESX host, you could create static routes inside each of the VMs to talk directly to one another without the gateway.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Esika
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for participating in my discussion. The actual information I need is "suppose that the server communication is interrupted for some reason. Is there any system that data or processes will be stored temporarily and automatically transferred to its destination after connection becomes corrected?"

0 Kudos