VMware Communities
wangcl
Contributor
Contributor

How can I verify that a virtual machine is unique?

Getting  some information about the host  from virtual machine to verify a virtual machine is unqiue

0 Kudos
8 Replies
wangcl
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know how to get information about host

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

You have to provide a bit more background information on what you are trying to do.

Unique from what point of view? Are you trying to program a copy protection mechanism for your software to run under virtual machines or are you trying to make sure that there are no duplicate licenses used from Windows or ...

As for getting information from within the virtual machine about the host... you are not supposed to be seeing the host from within the guest. If you could query host properties from within a guest then that would be a serious security flaw.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
wangcl
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help,

I want to prevent copying virtual machines. I think the virtual machine configure can be changed,so I want to get some information about host. Do you have some ideas?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

This means that you are looking at it from host level? Not from within the guest?

You cannot really prevent copying virtual machines, they are just a bunch of files and they are easy to copy when the virtual machine is shut down.

If the VMs are starting as identical copies then from within the VM they are exactly the same.

Even when they are copied to another host with the exact same CPU the VM will look the same. Only when the CPU is different you might be able to see that particular difference from within the guest. Note that I say "might" as that can be masked too, depending on the differences between the two CPUs.

If you want to prevent running copies of the same virtual machines then I think the only possible way to limit this currently is by using VMware Horizon FLEX instead of just using VMware Workstation.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
wangcl
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,I'll try it in another way.

0 Kudos
wangcl
Contributor
Contributor

I have a another question, I copy a virtual machine and make back machine start ,which configure will be changed?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Not entirely sure I understand the question.

If you start a copy of the virtual machine, you will get a question "did you copy or move the virtual machine"

If you then select "move" the virtual machine will be identical.

If you select "copy" the virtual machine will get new virtual hardware ID's

If you mean "how does VMware Workstation" keep track of the two virtual machines in the library, then you would have to look at file "%APPDATA%\VMware\inventory.vmls" on a Windows host for VMware Workstation and in "%APPDATA%\VMware\Preferences.ini" for VMware Player.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
wangcl
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your specific  answer.

0 Kudos