VMware Communities
armansamimi
Contributor
Contributor

How can I use my GPU in VMware workstation Pro 15 ?

I have a python project which uses GPU by default. but in "VMware workstation Pro 15" my graphic card does not detected, so the project runs on CPU which is too slow. How can I use my GPU in "VMware workstation Pro 15" ? . I've installed a windows 10 on my VM.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You cannot force Workstation to use a GPU - the VM runs a virtualised graphics adapter.

Only ESXi allows you to map a GPU directly to a VM, rather than running the virtualised graphics adapter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
armansamimi
Contributor
Contributor

oh thanks.

and should I download VMware vSphere ? what is difference between them? 

I just want to install Windows 10 on my VM and run my code on GPU, what is the best and fast choice do you think? 

Thanks a million

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ESXi is the hypervisor component of vSphere, and is available as a free version (with some limitations) branded as vSphere Hypervisor: https://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor.html

ESXi installs and runs directly on your hardware, but is not a general purpose OS - so taking this path would usually mean dedicating your hardware to run VMs.

You should note that because ESXi runs directly on the hardware, it is very specific in terms of supported hardware components, so check your system and IO devices here: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos