Contributor
Contributor

How can I install NVidia driver

Hi everyone,

Could somebody give me some advice?

My host is Window 7.

My VMware Workstation is 12.1.0.

My client is Ubuntu 16.04.

The Graphic Card is GeForce GT 730. So I want to install NVidia driver on the client. But after I install the driver, I can't log in.

So how can I solve this? I just want to install the driver.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You cannot, and should not, install your host's physical graphics card driver in your guest virtual machine!  The guest has an emulated graphics adapter "VMware SVGA II" card.  The drivers for it are part of the VMware Tools package which you should install.

0 Kudos
Waterzch
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. Yes, the guest has an emulated graphics adapter.

Can I change it to other card by configuration?

You know I have a demo computer, and it has a NVIDIA card. But the application I compiled on the guest virtual machine can't execute on the demo machine. So I want to install NVIDIA driver on the guest virtual machine and re-compile the application. So that it can execute on the demo machine.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Can I change it to other card by configuration?

No.

The only VMware product which has PCI passthrough is ESXi.  And that requires a bare metal solution - in other words, you cannot use the host computer itself if you are running ESXi/vSphere on it.  It is then only a server, running the virtual machines - and you need another computer to manage it, and remote into each of the virtual machines.

0 Kudos
Waterzch
Contributor
Contributor

OK, Thanks.

0 Kudos