VMware Communities
JohnW3
Contributor
Contributor

How can I diagnose frequent Windows 7 BSOD?

Between the two of us using Workstation and a Windows 7 guest O/S, we experience a BSOD on the guest O/S one to five times every 24 hours, on average (but some are as many as 3 days apart). Both of us were using Workstation 10 until a few weeks ago when I upgraded to 12. Under Workstation 10, the Windows BSOD usually crashes the emulator also. Since I upgraded to 12, the VM itself has never crashed, but the guest O/S blue-screens and restarts almost every day (twice already today, though), and often after I have left for the day. All the occurrences I have seen report one of two causes, either Memory Management or something about a Driver parameter value, and both seem to occur with equal frequency. The O/S restarts fine, although it twice ran chkdsk last week, and everything works for several minutes, hours, or days until the next BSOD.

The forum has one post that may address the driver issue, [SOLVED] BSOD on vm3dmp.sys after installing VMWare Tools 7 on Windows 7, but I don't think we can locate the necessary disks to perform what it says, and it hurts to think I may be dealing with two different problems instead of one. Since the VM keeps humming along nicely, what forensic evidence should I collect from where to enable me to post a more succinct question about what is going wrong?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

‌Tthe exact BSOD error codes would do for a start along with the hardware of the host.

0 Kudos
JohnW3
Contributor
Contributor

The BugCheck entries in the Event Log list these values as what I think are the error codes:  1e (4 times), 1a (5 times), d1 (6 times), since 8/1/16.

Host system is an Intel i7, 2.8GHz, 32GB, 64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise

Guest O/S is 64-bit Windows 7 Pro with 16GB and 4 cores allocated

AUDIODG.EXE crashes around 50 times each day, but I doubt that is related.

0 Kudos