VMware Communities
peter1337x
Contributor
Contributor

How can I connect to SQLSERVER from VMware to host using the local IP (192.168.x.x)?

I have a dedicated server with Windows Server 2008 R2 and SQLServer 2008 R2 on it. The VMWare machine also has Windows Server 2008 R2. I would like to access the SQLServer from the virtual machine using the vmware adapters IP (192.168.83.1 or 192.168.189.1). The network mode is set to bridged and the virtual machine has it's own dedicated IP address.

Anyone know how to do it?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wolfmann
Contributor
Contributor

peter1337x wrote:

I have a dedicated server with Windows Server 2008 R2 and SQLServer 2008 R2 on it. The VMWare machine also has Windows Server 2008 R2. I would like to access the SQLServer from the virtual machine using the vmware adapters IP (192.168.83.1 or 192.168.189.1). The network mode is set to bridged and the virtual machine has it's own dedicated IP address.

Anyone know how to do it?

Assuming they are both on the same subnet, those two addresses are most likely for the VM's Host and NAT addresses, and are not valid for Bridge networks - though many times Workstation/Fusion will route between the local LAN and your VM NAT network.

The bridge network adapter will pull an IP from the local subnet, probably the one running on the HOST so make sure you can ping the remote SQL Server. If you can, then it should just be a matter of connecting to the SQL Server as you normally would, possibly using it's IP address instead. Note: NETBIOS and or NAMED PIPE hostnames may not work if the server is on a separate IP segment, or if they have been disabled in the SQL schema - so that also means you may also have to authorize connections to the SQL Server from the segment or VM you are trying to use.

0 Kudos
peter1337x
Contributor
Contributor

To be honest, I don't really understand your post, I'm new to everything (vmware, sqlserver, etc.). So is it possible or not?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

peter1337x wrote: To be honest, I don't really understand your post, I'm new to everything (vmware, sqlserver, etc.). So is it possible or not?

Networking is Networking whether physical or virtual generally speaking the same rules apply so if you what to connect to a physical machine from a virtual machine it's basically no different then physical to physical... so act according and if you don't understand then I'd suggest you Google networking and how to connect to computers over a network.

0 Kudos
wolfmann
Contributor
Contributor

peter1337x wrote:

To be honest, I don't really understand your post, I'm new to everything (vmware, sqlserver, etc.). So is it possible or not?

It is very possible.

So think of a VM basically like a physical box. If you plug a cable into it, it will be networked. If your home network or LAN lets the machines get the network address they need automatically, then setting the virtual machine to bridged networking is all you should have to worry about. From there, just find out what the IP address is by going to the command prompt and typing IPCONFIG. You woudl then connect to your SQL server using the hostname or IP address of the SQL server.

You have to be familiar with how to connect to an SQL server. If you are not, then this is really an open ended question, and as Woody suggested...perhaps some fast track studying would be helpful. The link below should be helpful to get you up to speed.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/basicnetworkingconcepts/Networking_Basics_Key_Concepts_in_Compute...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Also to add to the link wolfmann suggested let me also say... To gain a better understanding of the VMware Virtual Network Infrastructure I'd strongly suggest you read the Networking sections in the documentation.

What version of VMware Workstation are you using?

If Workstation 7 then read Chapter 14, Configuring a Virtual Network, and Chapter 15, Advanced Virtual Networking, in Workstation User's Manual.

If Workstation 8 then read Chapter 5, Configuring Network Connections, in Using VMware Workstation.

BTW This information should also be available in the VMware Workstation Help File if you don't want to download the linked PDF Documents.

0 Kudos