VMware Communities
WorkForFood
Contributor
Contributor

How can I add .host to local Intranet Zone

Hi,

I am getting a prompt everytime I try and start a program that is on a mapped drive that is mapped to a vmware shared folder. I want to add the mount points, or better yet anything under .host to the local Intranet Zone to avoid this prompt.

The prompt that I am getting is:

Open File - Seurity Warning

The Publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?

RUN CANCEL

I am unable to use the more traditional Windows networking map; I must use a vmware shared folder mapped to a Windows drive.

The folders that I am mapping are of course on the host system.

I have tried a variety of different syntax but Windows won't recognize .host as valid.

Anyone had any success in doing this? Are there alternatives?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WorkForFood
Contributor
Contributor

I have to run these executables in the background so there will be no one to interact with the prompt. How can I run the executable and not get the prompt?

I've seen three ways so far that are suppose to work:

1) The first is to add the UNC to the Local Intranet Zone (but anything with .host in it is not accepted).

2) Change the group policy in Windows to allow *.exe using "inclusion list for low risk files" (this seems like I'm opening a huge security hole)

3) Remove a secondary stream from the file that contains zone information (This was way above my head)

I appear to have hit a bug / performance issue when I use Windows networking to access a directory on the host. It takes 60 seconds or more to start the executable. That's the reason I must use VMWare shared folders rather than Windows networking. I don't know for sure that using Windows networking would allow me to correct this but it doesn't matter since it is too slow to use anyway.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
WorkForFood
Contributor
Contributor

I made a change to the group policy that allowed me to start the executable and not get the security warning. I have NO idea if this is the right way to do it or if I've completely turned off security in general. I have to weigh the functionality vs. the risk and right now functionality is winning... Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
beno
Contributor
Contributor

It seems to be quite late reply, but I've found a solution on the following page.

Just Add *..host instead of file://.host, or etc.

This works perfect.

0 Kudos