VMware Communities
sadolino
Contributor
Contributor

How can I activate Fips-Mode on VMware Workstation, Windows and Linux (Host/Guest) ?

Hello,

is it possible to enable FIPS-Mode in VMware Workstation Pro, Windows (Host) and Linux (Host/Linux) ?

I only found out that in Windows, there is a registry hack and then you have to install the vmwuest, otherwise it would not working.

Greets

sadolino

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

There is no such feature.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
sadolino
Contributor
Contributor

Sure, perhaps not directly for workstation pro.

To use the Windows Registry, go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\FipsAlgorithmPolicy\Enabled and set Enabled to 1.

This is from an article from VMware.

This is for the host, in this case it's windows.

When I install Ubuntu with the UbuntuAdvantage mode fips-update, there is also a possibility, but I want to know if VMware workstation has an integrity value, perhaps for the config for the main GUI of workstation pro or for the specific VM ?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Nothing to do with VMware.... it's a Microsoft Windows setting

https://www.howtogeek.com/245859/why-you-shouldnt-enable-fips-compliant-encryption-on-windows/

If you want to know how-to limit your encryption algorithms in your Linux distribution then you have to go ask at the Linux forums of that particular distribution.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
sadolino
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think u understand me, I want to know only if VMware have a fips option that I can activate, otherwise if the installer of workstation pro btw. if the workstation installer has the same activation possibility for example, VMware horizon, when a fundamental option is set, like the one with the registry for fips in Windows, when you start the installation it could activate fips for VMware horizon?

Thank you for the link, but I tested out several encryption and the secures one is the fips, my opinion. 

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The Product Manager of VMware Workstation  already answered that question to you:

The feature you are asking for does not exist.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
sadolino
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, then.

But in Horizon this feature exist, right?

0 Kudos