VMware Communities
juhwwon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How can I Detach my Linux's host interface card enps02 to my VM

Hello Community,

Greetings to the Community, Veterans and Noobs of VMware. Please kindly help look into this major issue I'm having.

I have a Linux (Ubuntu) machine running a VMware Workstation Pro (trial version). I'm running a firewall device in this VM. I want the VM itself to use a dedicated enps02(/eth0) from my host so that I can configure it (the enps02 interface) as the gateway interface for my Firewall. This is desired to allow internet on the host ONLY through my firewall. Thanks, I sincerely hope for a resolution/idea.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. configure the host: you need

- vmnet0 bridged to enps02

- vmnet1 hostonly - do not activate the DHCP service

2. configure the VM: you need

- ethernet0 using vmnet0

- ethernet1 using vmnet1

3. configure the firewall inside the VM:

- assign ethernet0 as the device connected to the internet and set an IP for it manually - example 192.168.1.5

- assign ethernet1 as the device for the internal network and set an IP for it manually - example 192.168.23.5

Now comes the tricky part - would be easier with a Windows host !

Make sure that the host either assigns no IP at all for the enps02 but is still "up" - or assign an invalid IP outside the allowed range for your local router.

For vmnet1 on the host assign 192.168.23.5 as the gateway and DNS-server.

On a Windows host you would simply remove the TCP/IP protocol for the enps02.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. configure the host: you need

- vmnet0 bridged to enps02

- vmnet1 hostonly - do not activate the DHCP service

2. configure the VM: you need

- ethernet0 using vmnet0

- ethernet1 using vmnet1

3. configure the firewall inside the VM:

- assign ethernet0 as the device connected to the internet and set an IP for it manually - example 192.168.1.5

- assign ethernet1 as the device for the internal network and set an IP for it manually - example 192.168.23.5

Now comes the tricky part - would be easier with a Windows host !

Make sure that the host either assigns no IP at all for the enps02 but is still "up" - or assign an invalid IP outside the allowed range for your local router.

For vmnet1 on the host assign 192.168.23.5 as the gateway and DNS-server.

On a Windows host you would simply remove the TCP/IP protocol for the enps02.

juhwwon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your kindness.

Yes, according to your instructions, I was able to achieve my desired setup. You were also right about the last part being tricky! This' what I did -> After bridging vmnet0 to enpso2 I had to specifically remove ip address on the enpso2 interface and also assign the Firewall LAN facing interface (vmnet1) as the default gateway (and dns) for all interfaces. Great light shedding :smileygrin:.

.connect:s Network is unreachs.

Yes, according to your instructions, I was able to achieve my desired setup. You were also right about the 3rd part being tricky! After bridging vmnet0 to enpso2 I had to remove ip address on the enpso2 interface and also assign the Firewall LAN facing interface (vmnet1) as the default gateway for all interfaces. Great light shedding :smileygrin:.

0 Kudos