VMware Communities
sripati
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How Physical machine can communicate with the virtual machines as well as internet should work on Virtual machine

Hi Team,

I beg you pardon for asking a silly question without doing some self research.

I am using VMware workstation 6.5. I am able to communicate two machine by selecting "Host only option".

Is there a way By which the Physical machine can communicate with the virtual machines.

Simultaneously through the virtual machines ,is it possible to access the Internet of the physical amchine.

Please help.

Regards

Sriapti

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you use a bridged vNIC the guest acts like any other host, so you can access is by its IP (and/or name if an DNS setup exists like you would access any other host. Which tools you can use depends on the guest operating system and the software available.

I assume you're talking about deskopt access. Then you can use RDP (Windows Terminal services) or (tight/tiny)VNC.

For Linux you can use the latter or many flavours of SSH. In case of Linux I would use VNC tunneled through SSH. You also can tunnel X through SSH so if you have an X server on the other host (like Hummingbird for Windows), you can open your own remote desktop there.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" answers/replies. Thanks!!

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes there is. Switch the virtual network interface (vNIC) type from "host-only" to "bridged". The guest participates in the physical network like any other host, then. Remember to give the gust an appropriate IP setup which fits to the physical network.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" answers/replies. Thanks!!

sripati
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sir that is possible if I have a network setup.Can u tell me how is it possible if I am trying to test something at my home.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

By default the virtual network VMnet0 is bridged to your physical NIC already. Open the hardware editing menu of the guest and mark the virtual NIC. You can change the type to "bridged" then.

Start the guest and set up TCP/IP. If you don't know how to do that, provide the guest OS to me as well as an "ipconfig /all" (Windows) or "ifconfig -a" (Linux) to me.

sripati
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi Dear,

m so sorry to keep on asking silly questions. One last one I guess. How do I connect to that machine remotely. Suppose The machine has an ip of 192.168.1.10 port is 289. Through VNC/mstsc is it possible to connect.

Please answer , O hope the last doubt.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you use a bridged vNIC the guest acts like any other host, so you can access is by its IP (and/or name if an DNS setup exists like you would access any other host. Which tools you can use depends on the guest operating system and the software available.

I assume you're talking about deskopt access. Then you can use RDP (Windows Terminal services) or (tight/tiny)VNC.

For Linux you can use the latter or many flavours of SSH. In case of Linux I would use VNC tunneled through SSH. You also can tunnel X through SSH so if you have an X server on the other host (like Hummingbird for Windows), you can open your own remote desktop there.

0 Kudos