VMware Communities
Tornaci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hot keys for getting out of Virtual machine not working

Hi,

After the resent update of Vmware Workstation pro 15.5.5, the hot keys to get out of the VMs stops working.

My Hotkeys are set to CTRL + ALT. I can't even get out of the VM without shutting the VM.

My host is Windows 10 2004 (20H1)

I didn't have the problem at first when I updated windows to te latest. I still had VMware Workstation Pro 15.5.2.

But as soon as I updated Vmware to the latest (15.5.5) the problem occured.

Can you guys please help me?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
banackm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We've seen similar issues recently with the 15.5.5 release, although our reports so far have all shown this to be a temporary problem.

You could try issues by setting the following config option:

mks.win32.useInjectedMagic=FALSE

In either your VM's vmx file or your per-user config file.

If that works, please let us know.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Check this thread: Ctrl-Alt (to direct input back to host OS) stopped working in Player 15.5.5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Tornaci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This worked for me for a single time. After that it got back just to the way it was.

0 Kudos
banackm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We've seen similar issues recently with the 15.5.5 release, although our reports so far have all shown this to be a temporary problem.

You could try issues by setting the following config option:

In either your VM's vmx file or your per-user config file.

If that works, please let us know.

0 Kudos
Tornaci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adding

to the VMs VMX seems to be working.

But I don't know where the per-user config file is located at. Where can I acces this to edit it?

0 Kudos
banackm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The precise path may vary depending on how your Windows host is setup, but on my Windows system it's at:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\VMware\config.ini

Replace "username" with your username, and possibly "Roaming" with "Local" or "LocalData" depending on what's there.  The "VMware" sub-folder is generally present if you found the right location, but you may have to create the config.ini file if it's not already there.

But there's a number of places we check for config settings, so if you check the top of a vmware.log file for one of your VMs and search for all the lines that contain "DICT ---" it should list them all, as well as all the options it picked up from them so you can double-check that it worked.

0 Kudos
Tornaci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After creating the config.ini in the dir down bellow it worked for me.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\VMware\config.ini

This is whats in the file.

Thank you very much BM