VMware Communities
max2g
Contributor
Contributor

Host physical disk space exhausted ???

My virtual machine was running smoothly when the disk space became exhausted on the host. Then VM Workstation told me the it was not able to complete an I/O and ask to click abort, retry, continue. I decided to click on abort and the guest become frozen. I then decided to kill the VM Worstation because I was not able to do aomething else. I restarted Workstation and the virtual machine and everything seems to be good.

After the fact, I learn that the best solution would have been to delete some files on the physical disk to free some space and then click on retry. This would have allowed the host to properly finish processing.

Can someone tell me what is the impact of clicking on abort or continue ????

Thank you !

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

The error message you received is VERY BADLY worded.

Whenever you get this - fix disk-space before you hit any key.

0 Kudos
max2g
Contributor
Contributor

So, does this mean that the virtual disk is corrupted in some way ? If it is corrupted than the message should tell the user that the disk is full and he must free some space on the disk ! This would be clearer for the user !

Thank you for your reply !

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> So, does this mean that the virtual disk is corrupted in some way ?

Not necessarily - but maybe.

Start VM and post vmware.log - if the disk is corrupt or partly damaged it is mentioned in the log.

0 Kudos