VMware Communities
MitchMiller
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host Unable To Connect to Guest AD

I have a Windows 2008 R2 server which is running VMWare Workstation 11. One of the virtual machines is a Windows 2012 R2 domain controller. I can connect other VM's to this domain without any issue. However I am unable to connect the Host to the domain.

When I try to connect I get the following error.

An Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for the domain "corp.mydomain.com" could not be contacted. Ensure that the domain name is typed correctly.

I have attached the details of the error. For some reason I could not copy/paste into this editor.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You need to somehow make the host aware of the domain "corp.mydomain.com" in order to be able to join the domain. What may work is to add the DC's IP address (assuming the DC acts as a DNS server) as an additional entry to the host's DNS server list (as the first one in the list).

How did you configure the other systems which you joined to the domain?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The host needs to be able to properly read the DC's DNS records. Configure the host's DNS server settings with the guest's (DC) IP address.

André

MitchMiller
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And if I do that, will I lose connectivity to my hosted server? How will it then be able to access the internet?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You need to somehow make the host aware of the domain "corp.mydomain.com" in order to be able to join the domain. What may work is to add the DC's IP address (assuming the DC acts as a DNS server) as an additional entry to the host's DNS server list (as the first one in the list).

How did you configure the other systems which you joined to the domain?

André

0 Kudos
MitchMiller
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help. What I did was changed the first DNS option on my primary NIC to 192.168.28.3 which is the IP of the Virtual Machine DC. I was able to then join the domain. I set my DC to auto start and then even when I reboot the server I can give the VM time to boot up then log in.

0 Kudos