VMware Communities
spacewrench
Contributor
Contributor

Host System Hangs on Windows 10, Workstation 12.5, Linux Shared-VM Guest, AMD A10-7850K Kaveri/Radeon

I have an AMD system that had been running Windows 7 with Workstation Pro 10, with an always-on, shared-VM Linux virtual machine.  I upgraded to Windows 10 and the system hangs reliably within a few minutes if the VM is running.  I tried a different CPU (A4-7300, which has an older integrated GPU) and I didn't see any hangs (although I didn't run it for a _long_ time, or push it very hard).

I just installed a trial copy of Workstation 12.5 on the system (A10 CPU reinstalled), but it also hung within a few minutes.

I vaguely suspect the AMD graphics drivers, although I don't have any specific reason for that -- Win10 graphics seems to work fine, and the VM is just Linux running in VGA/text mode.

Is there a good way to troubleshoot something like this?  The system just hangs -- completely unresponsive to keyboard, mouse, network and power button, for both host and guest OS.  I'm tempted to roll back to Win7, but it takes a LONG time to do that install because of all the updates and patches that have to load over the next few reboots.  And really, to avoid getting stuck in a WinXP end-of-life situation, I should upgrade to Win10.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for posting your issue here.

Could you power off the VM and check whether there is any *.dmp files in the VM directory? If so, you can upload *.dmp file and vmware.log here.

0 Kudos