VMware Communities
JetDzhet
Contributor
Contributor

Host PC freezes completely when turning on a VM

I have Windows 11, and version of VMware Workstation Pro is 17.0.1

When I'm installing apparently any VM (so far I just tried with Windows 7, and Windows 8.1) sometimes during the process of installation of these (this normally happens when the VM needs to restart) and when it does it, my host PC freezes and is completely unresponsive, needing hard reboot.

Both VMs were set at 2 GB of RAM.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
marco_shaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've got almost nothing for you.  Assuming you have at least 2GB free for your Win 11 host, but even that isn't much.  Maybe have your task manager open while you start these VMs to see where they get...  Give the VM just 1GB of memory.

Did this always happen?  Is it just a problem with 17.0.1?

0 Kudos
JetDzhet
Contributor
Contributor

I have 12 GB of RAM installed in my Windows 11 host, forgot to say that for some reason.

And the problem did not occur with previous versions of VMware, in fact my PC was holding virtual machines quite well until this update.

Though now I reinstalled VMware 17.0.1 and I was actually able to install Windows 7 and 8.1 in it without any freezing in the middle (with the Task Manager running too).

But I can't really guarantee that the freezing won't happen again. Gonna try to create another VM tomorrow, and make an update if the freezing problem returns.

0 Kudos