VMware Communities
AlanAdams
Contributor
Contributor

Host Only network shared between two VMware Workstation Pro hosts

I have two VMware Workstation Pro hosts on Windows Server 2022 sitting side by side.  Both are connected to the same physical network, and guests are able to connect and see each other as expected.

But I want to test some stuff that shouldn't really be exposed to the physical network I'm on, and for which a VMware Host Only network is appropriate.  However, ideally I need to retain the capability of "Guests on HostA are on the same subnet as guests on HostB" like they are now; or at least something really close to this.

I can see the path forward of just adding an additional physical network card to the hosts, and running my own DHCP server as a guest to make other guests plug-n-play when configured to use this separate physical network instead of the current "public" physical network.  VLANs on current physical network could also work, but the switch configuration is not under my control.

But I'm hoping for perhaps a software-only solution, not contingent on physical proximity between the two machines. e.g. "Yet another virtual network adapter installed on the host machine" just like VMware's existing virtual adapters, but to provide an arbitrary tunnel between two machines.

I don't think any such option is hiding in the existing VMware virtual network editor on Workstation Pro, but I wanted to ask here in case someone knew of a smart software-only approach for just a small two-host test environment using Workstation Pro.

0 Kudos
0 Replies