VMware Communities
asparks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host Only Network

Running VMWare Workstation 8.0.4.

My understanding of Host-only network is that the host can still communicate with the VM's if the "Connect a host virtual adapter to this network" is checked in the Vritual Network Editor.

Isn't there a gateway assigned?  Do I have to have NAT turned on (I have it turned off)?  Pings from the host to the host network isn't working.  A

route print

on the host doesn't show a route to that network.  What am I missing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check to make sure the Host and Guest Firewalls are not blocking ICMP Echo Requests (ping).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A Host Only Network does not need and therefore does not use a Default Gateway.

If the Host Only Network does have "Connect a host virtual adapter to this network" checked then the VMnet1 Network Adapter should have an IP Address and should be visible in the output of ipconfig /all in a Command Prompt on a Windows Host or ifconfig in a Terminal on a Linux Host.  Does it?  If not I'd try using the Restore Default button on the Virtual Network Editor in an attempt to repair any issues with the VMware Network Infrastructure.

What Host OS?

What Guest OS?

asparks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host OS is Windows 7

and Guest OS is Windows Server 2008.

I did an ipconfig /all on the host and spotted the VMnet1 interface with 169.254.254.248 assigned to it.

But the Host-only has a Subnet IP of 192.168.238.0/24.  Shouldn't the interface ID have an IP in that network asigned?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That's an IP address which automatically gets assigned if no DHCP server is available for the network.

In your case vmnet1 should be 192.168.238.1. I'd suggest you run "Restore Defaults" from the Virtual Network Editor to see whether this fixes the virtual network.

André

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

André Pett wrote:I'd suggest you run "Restore Defaults" from the Virtual Network Editor to see whether this fixes the virtual network.

I already suggested that in my first reply however it was not mentioned in asparks's follow up reply whether or not it was tried. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
asparks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What I did, instead of a reset, which I was reluctant to do, since i have other stuff guests running off of this VMWare Workstation is I unclicked the "Connect a host virtual adapter to this networked" and hit apply.

I then checked to see if the VMNet1 interface disappeared off the host (it did).  I then clicked the checkbox again and the virtual interface appeared with the correct IP address.

So here's the deal.  I can ping the interface from the host (192.168.238.1).  I can also ping it from the guest.  In additon, the route entries seem to be correct (excerpted from a route print command):

192.168.238.0    255.255.255.0         On-link     192.168.238.1    276
    192.168.238.1  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.238.1    276

But when I ping the guest from the host, I get no joy.

I may have to do the reset option after all, but whey wouldn't this work?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check to make sure the Host and Guest Firewalls are not blocking ICMP Echo Requests (ping).

0 Kudos
asparks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked.  Thanks.

0 Kudos