VMware Communities
GPGVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host-Only Network Setup Help

Hello,

I am a developer (i.e. basic networking knowledge) trying to setup a host-only private vm network. I installed vm_wkstn8 on a clean install as the host.

I then created two W2k8 R2 vm's. One to be the DC (we'll call it DC) and the other a web server (WebSrvr).

On the host using Virtual Network Editor I removed the VMnet8 network. I then changed the VMnet1 to 192.168.109.1 / class c mask and turned of dhcp.

In the adapter stack I removed (unchecked) VMware bridge protocol an IPv6. In the IPv4 config it took the 192.168.109.1 & class c from the Virt. Net.Editor and I left the dns entries blank.

On the Vm's I changed them to 192.168.109.X. (110 for DC & 115 for WebSrvr) with class c mask. I also set them up with dns and gateway pointing to 192.168.109.1. I disabled IPv6 on the vm adapter stacks. I can from either vm ping 192.168.109.1 which makes sense that is the virtual adapter on the host that is acting as gateway to vm's and connection for host to vm network right....apparently not. I can NOT ping from host back to 110 (DC) or 115 (WebSrvr) vm's??

So I look at another box under my desk and it shows to have the Vm's point to X.X.X.2 for gateway and DNS. HUH?? Where did that get determined. So I change my vm's to gateway and dns to 192.168.109.2 still no go.

So I am stumped. My vm's can communicate to the host. The vm's can't communicate (ping) each other and the host can't talk to any of the vm's.

What I would like to do is setup a simple no host private network. I want my machines on that network to be able to communicate with each other.Join the domain etc. Network access from the no host machines to corporate network / internet would be nice but NOT required. Perhap I am off but I thought that the machines ought to be able to see each other on the no-host network.

TIA for any articles / explanations off what I am doing wrong.

JB

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

"What I would like to do is setup a simple no host private network. I  want my machines on that network to be able to communicate with each  other.Join the domain etc. Network access from the no host machines to  corporate network / internet would be nice but NOT required. Perhap I am  off but I thought that the machines ought to be able to see each other  on the no-host network."

If that's all you are trying to accomplish, I would not have mucked around at all with the VMnet1 and VMnet8 switches.  Use one of the unused VMnet switches (2-7, 9) to create a guest-only network segment.  Set each VM to use custom connection type and specify the same VMnet.  Then they should be able to connect to each other.  If you want external connection, add a 2nd virtual NIC to the DC VM and use any of the standard 3 network connection types - depending on whether or not you want the rest of the LAN to see the DC computer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MindTheGreg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure that windows firewall will block pings by default. Try disabling windows firewall on your vms.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766337(v=ws.10).aspx

Set-Annotation -CustomAttribute "The Impossible" -Value "Done and that makes us mighty"
GPGVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry. the worthless &*$&*($^&$% $$()$ Microsoft Firewall is disabled. Forgot to mention that.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

"What I would like to do is setup a simple no host private network. I  want my machines on that network to be able to communicate with each  other.Join the domain etc. Network access from the no host machines to  corporate network / internet would be nice but NOT required. Perhap I am  off but I thought that the machines ought to be able to see each other  on the no-host network."

If that's all you are trying to accomplish, I would not have mucked around at all with the VMnet1 and VMnet8 switches.  Use one of the unused VMnet switches (2-7, 9) to create a guest-only network segment.  Set each VM to use custom connection type and specify the same VMnet.  Then they should be able to connect to each other.  If you want external connection, add a 2nd virtual NIC to the DC VM and use any of the standard 3 network connection types - depending on whether or not you want the rest of the LAN to see the DC computer.

0 Kudos
GPGVM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If that's all you are trying to accomplish, I would not have mucked around at all with the VMnet1 and VMnet8 switches. Use one of the unused VMnet switches (2-7, 9) to create a guest-only network segment. Set each VM to use custom connection type and specify the same VMnet. Then they should be able to connect to each other

Well that was easy. I feel like David Spade in Tommy Boy at the gas station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=M2bWfxS7W9s

So I feel dumb and that works great. One question I have is regarding the host-only. I originally configured my vm's to use the host-only option as opposed to the custom option and then selecting the Vnet. What is going on behind the scenes that allows routing that my host only connections didn't allow? I mean isn't it the same? Both are host-only private networks. Clearly there is a difference but I'm just curious what that is.

0 Kudos
spersels
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I've implemented exactly this config (I think) and I can't get connectivity between the two servers:

VMWare Workstation 11.

2 Windows 2012 servers (firewalls turned off)

each with a single NIC configure to talk to the same host-only network (VMnet2)

Both acquire IP address (192.168.88.129 and 192.168.88.130) but no ping connectivity in either direction.

Gateway issue?   if it is I'm not sure what to set the gateway to....

Ideas?

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

0 Kudos