VMware Communities
qzwx
Contributor
Contributor

Host OS - client OS question

Dear Sir,

I need a PC running simultaneously both Win (XP) and Linux (Kubuntu?) applications and might try VMWare workstation for that.

Are there any differencies in practice which OS should be used as host OS? E.g. driver availability or performance?

How much slower will application run in client OS than in host OS? (If both OSs are same)

Do I have to have host OS compatible drivers for all HW devices?

Example: Suppose that I have a scanner and scanner driver only for Win XP.

- Can I now have Linux host OS and WinXP client OS and do the scanning in WinXP?

- Can I now have Win XP host OS and Linux client OS and do the scanning in Linux?

Do you have any HW compatibility lists for VMWare workstation?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sjadapa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Most of the users practice with Windows as host OS and Guest as Linux & Windows.

suppose If you connect a scanner to any USB of host, it can be accessed by guest OS ( irrespective of OS).

My suggestion is to go for windows OS as host and install vmware workstation or vmware server.

if you have any drivers issue, you can post here.

We will help you out.

****If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer CORRECT or HELPFUL ****

Jadapa RHCE, MCSA

****If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer CORRECT or HELPFUL **** Shankar Jadapa (RHCE, MCSA, VCP 5 ) http://linuxgurus.wordpress.com
qzwx
Contributor
Contributor

OK, maybe the scanner was not a good example because USB drivers are certainly available for Win XP and Linux but what is the answer for the more general question:

Do I have to have host OS compatible drivers for all HW devices I have in the PC?

Example: Suppose that I have a HW device X (not using USB) and HW device X driver only for Win XP.

• Can I now have Linux host OS and WinXP client OS and run HW device X in WinXP?

• Can I now have Win XP host OS and Linux client OS and run HW device X in Linux?

If I have to have host OS compatible drivers for all HW devices I have in the PC in order to run them in client OS then it is preferable to use host OS with best driver support. If this is not the case, then driver support is not relevant issue for host OS selection.

Thank you for your support.

0 Kudos
sjadapa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All the HW Devices are not compatible but it depends.

Most of the HW are compatible with VMware. You can use any host OS or any Guest OS. it should be working fine.

If you can let me know specific device, we can give you workout on it.

****If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer CORRECT or HELPFUL ****

Jadapa RHCE, MCSA

****If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer CORRECT or HELPFUL **** Shankar Jadapa (RHCE, MCSA, VCP 5 ) http://linuxgurus.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
qzwx
Contributor
Contributor

I do not yet have any specific device. I am just planning my configuration and therefore wanted to know if driver availability is an issue to think about when selecting the host OS. According to your answer it is not an issue.

What about then the application performance? Do you have any rule of thumb how much slower will application run in client OS than in host OS? (If both OSs are same)?

Thank you for your support.

0 Kudos
sjadapa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No issues on performance till now. I am using vmware since two years.

its all depends on the the hardware configuration. If you have enough RAM and CPU, it not an issue.

Good Luck

Jadapa RHCE, MCSA

User
Contributor
Contributor

Without knowing Linux fullheartedly. I think in Linux USB devices must be mounted, and therefore maybe an unmounted device will not be seen from the Guest OS, just my 2 cents. ??

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Use whichever OS you are most comfortable with as the Host.

I prefer Windows myself for the Host. Only the Host OS gets raw access to the installed video card and I like to play Windows games on my PC. Also, I (in)frequently see posts on here from people running Linux who break VMware by installing bleeding edge kernels. So if you like to really tweak your linux installs, consider running them as Guests.

0 Kudos