VMware Communities
asparks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host Network - Phantom IP

This is just out of curiosity.

Running VMWare Workstation 8.x.  I have a typical host network.  The VM (running CentOS 6.4) is using DHCP to get its IP address from VMWare.

The Host is Windows 7.  The host talks to the VM using a typical VMWare supplied interface with 192.168.216.1 bound to it.  The VM has 192.168.216.128 bound to its eth0 interface.  On the VM, when I do a

$ route

I see a default gateway of 192.168.216.2.  I can ping it from the VM, but not the host.

So, why does the VM really need a gateway configured?  What's answering my pings?  When I go through the VMWare network configurations, I can't seem to find it.  With a host only network, there's no routing required since the host already has an interface in that network.

Why, oh why?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can you confirm the VM uses the "Host Only" network rather than the "NAT" network? The ...2 IP address is usually used by the NAT service as the DNS and gateway address.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can you confirm the VM uses the "Host Only" network rather than the "NAT" network? The ...2 IP address is usually used by the NAT service as the DNS and gateway address.

André

0 Kudos
asparks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You're right.  It was a NAT network, not a Host Only.  Thanks.

0 Kudos