VMware Communities
jbag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host File Size

I am running Workstation 6.5.1 on a Vista host laptop and would like to reclaim some host HD space.  Looking at the bundle, I have a 'base' XP.vmdk file for the VM of about 16GB, a XP-000001.vmdk file of about 8GB, a XP-000002.vmdk file of about 12GB, and a XP-000003.vmdk file of about 42GB.  I thought the '-00000x' vmdk files were associated with snapshots and could be moved or deleted and still run the current 'base' machine, but if they are not resident in the bundle file, the VM won't start and asks for the location of these files before it will start.

What are these files, and can I eliminate them someway to reclaim the host HD space?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You cannot simply delete or move a snapshot as they are linked to each other and to the base file - remebering that a snapshot contains the changes that are made to the base file - you will have to use the snapshot manager to either delete the snapshot and the soociated changes or merge the snapshot with the base disk -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You cannot simply delete or move a snapshot as they are linked to each other and to the base file - remebering that a snapshot contains the changes that are made to the base file - you will have to use the snapshot manager to either delete the snapshot and the soociated changes or merge the snapshot with the base disk -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Although already answered, you may want to take a look at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1015180 to see how snapshots work in VMware products.

André

jbag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help!

Hope you have a good New Year.

0 Kudos
jbag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution