VMware Communities
deeluk
Contributor
Contributor

Horrendous mouse performance in 6.0.1

I've been using VMware workstation for a couple of years now. I've used version 5.5.2, 5.5.3 and now 6.0.1 and I've always had the same problem. Mouse response within a VM, with VMware tools installed, is horrible. I click and it takes around a second for the OS to respond. If I move the mouse between down and up clicks, the event never gets delivered to the window I was trying to hit. Trying to grab a window by it's titlebar and move it, I have to wait a second, at least, before starting to drag it. Otherwise, I get a mouse click in a different window or the desktop.

Has anyone else encountered this? The problem occurs on all VMs I use regardless of the underlying OS. I've used WinXP, Vista, RHEL4, SLED10, SuSe and others. All behave exactly the same. I see the same problem whether or not VMware tools is installed. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Have you enabled Hardware Acceleration on your guest?

Display Settings, Advanced, Troubleshooting, Hardware Acceleration. Set it to full.

kzr1k9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just curious .... does "Display Settings, Advanced, Troubleshooting, Hardware Acceleration" have anything to do with a mouse since it is under .... Display?

Out of habit, I always enable HW acceleration and I always wondered if it did anything for the mouse.

0 Kudos
deeluk
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, display settings, h/w acceleration is set to full. Forgot to mention, it's just about impossible to double-click something with this problem. I think I have to hold the mouse perfectly still. Intermediate mouse move events seem to make it lose the second click. Same with dragging, as I mentioned. If I click the tile bar and move the mouse without waiting a second or so, I haven't grabbed the window. It appears to deliver an event to the desktop or whatever other window I end up releasing the mouse over.

0 Kudos