Memory: 1GB

Processors: 1

Hard Drive: 12GB

Windows Server 2016

Memory: 4GB

Processors: 4

Hard Drive: 20GB

When I turn on either of two VMs or both VMs,

I have seen Disk Usages 100%  in Performance tab of Task Manager of Host Computer.

The Host Computer is a Windows 10 Lenovo Laptop with specifications:

• Processor: Intel Core i5-8250U Processor
  • GPU: AMD Radeon 540 2GB GDDR5
  • RAM: 12 GB DDR4 2400MHz
  • HDD: 1TB

Please advise me, what steps I can follow?

Regards

GnVm

Tags (1)
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The 4 cores on the Win2016 VM is probably a bit much, but it shouldn't cause the high disk usage spike, at least not constantly.

There's a few possible reasons.

- a problematic antivirus product (in particular AVG/Avast/BitDefender, see also XP VM suddenly slow, Win 7 fine )

- a config issue with any antivirus product (did you exclude the virtual machine's folders from your antivirus product?)

- Windows update running the disk high

- Disk defragmentation service running in the guest

- Windows System Restore in the guest

- a slow host disk drive (is it a 5400 / 4200 rpm disk by any chance?)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
GnVm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The host os is Windows 10 and no anti-virus installed.

Only Windows Defender is there which is by default security with Windows 10.

I am using VMware Workstation in my laptop and it's new (purchased about 20 days ago).

Using some software, I found it's HDD is Seagate Mobile ST1000LM035 - 1rk72.

In Data Sheet of HDD, I found it's 5400 rpm.

Now what do you suggest?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

For hosting VMs an SSD is better as it can provide a lot more IOPS.

However having said that, if you run just one VM on your host, then it should not go into high disk usage all the time.

I would expect to see high disk usage spikes, not to have them all the time.

As mentioned in my previous reply, there can be many reasons for that to happen.

If you use Windows Defender, then it still is recommended to exclude your VMs as it is still an antivirus product that doesn't handle scanning large binary virtual disks well.

See:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-exclude-files-and-folders-windows-defender-antivirus-scans

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
GnVm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After all diagnosis, it is recommended to us SSD for VMs.

The laptop supports only 256 GB SSD and I have 250 GB SSD.

Windows 10, user accounts, applications, other related files and settings take almost 100 GB. As Windows 10 takes update frequently so for safer side if I give 150 GB to drive C:, I have only 100 GB for virtual hard drive.

In current situation (without adding SSD), virtual hard disks are already in another drive. When I access even one virtual hard disk using VMware Workstation, disk usages go up to 100%.

If I add SSD, install Windows and all applications in SSD and change virtual hard disk path to another drive (HD) like current situation, will that be helpful?

As per my understanding, virtual hard disks are again in the same location i.e. HD so no major changes. Therefore, not helpful.

Please advise and elaborate.

With Regards
GnVm

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It might help a bit, but I do not expect much of a difference as long as you leave the VMs on the slow spinning disk.
If the main reason you add a SSD is for having faster VMs, then it would make a _lot_ more sense to move your VMs to the new SSD instead of moving your host OS to the SSD.

--
Wil