VMware Communities
peter_v1969
Contributor
Contributor

High Guest CPU Utilisation, Low Host CPU Utilisation

Hi All,

I have a Windows 7 host 64-bit with a Windows Server 2008 R2 Guest (64-bit).  I only have one CPU allocated to the server as I found that more than one core or CPU causes the guest to BSOD on a regular basis, particuarly from a paused state.

The problem I have is that the guest OS often goes into 100% CPU utilisation and is pretty sluggish despite having 8Gb RAM allocated to it (host has 32Gb and is certainly not running out of RAM), and the host CPU (8 cores) is practically idle.

Any ideas on how I can get some grunt on the host being utilised in the guest OS's??  I have three or four machines that I run at different times, but even when there is only one host running, I have the same issues on a regular basis.

Cheers,

P

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Nicole54
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

please let us know the exe or process name which is utilizing more CPU .

Let shut down guest machine and conform if still having same problem.

“Control Your Own Destiny or Someone Else Will”
0 Kudos
peter_v1969
Contributor
Contributor

It varies from time to time, and generally it's not one regular process that's causing the issue.  Most of my instances have a SQL Server, Visual Studio and a webservice.  VS is often a culprit, but other times it's SQL Server and other times it's the IIS.  Shutting down the instance tends to make the issue go from unbearable to tolerable, but the instances are significantly slower than the host. 

0 Kudos