VMware Communities
JohnPeterson
Contributor
Contributor

Hide menu bar

## Hide menu bar

### Problem

The menu bar can't be hidden in VMware Workstation 10 window mode

I.o.w. the option "View > Customize > Toolbar" or another option don't hide these items

* File

* Edit

* View

* VM

* Tabs

* Help

This is a problem because

* it reduce the screen height with 37 pixels

* some users don't use the menu bar (rather than the menu option's key combinations)

* using the full screen mode makes it slower to change between host and guest windows in non-unity mode (because it require exit fullscreen mode i.o.w. an additional action)

### Solution

Add an option to hide the VMware Workstation window mode menu bar

Tags (1)
2 Replies
dharasty
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with this comment: there should be a "check mark" in View>Customize menu even for the menu bar.

This begs the question: but how to you get the menu bar back (if the menu is gone)?  Well, you'll probably now need something like the "window shade panel" that drops down when you are in full screen mode.

Relatedly: I'd really like there to be a button or hot-key toggle for "hide everything that is showing".  This would hide all: Library, Thumbnails, Toolbar, Tabs, Status Bar, and menu.  Then there would be a way to activate "show the things that were previously showing."  (Which is not "show all", but rather, whatever was "checked" when you activated "hide everything".)

charlielewis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I could not agree more with JohnPeterson​, that menu bar is useless in windowed mode; I mean, displaying it is useless. Let me summon it with a hotkey!

0 Kudos