VMware Communities
Krellan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is patch for Workstation 6.5.2 on Linux 2.6.29 kernel

Here we go again, with VMware Workstation 6.5.2 (including VMware Player 2.5.2).

Here is a patch to get their modules to cleanly build on Linux kernel version 2.6.29.

It's a followup from this earlier thread, that was for the earlier 6.5.1 version:

http://communities.vmware.com//thread/202340

The changes between 6.5.1 and 6.5.2 are minimal. VMware, thankfully, no longer attempts to re-define the APIC_BASE_MSR symbol, making one part of the patch no longer necessary on 2.6.29, so it has been removed. That was what was causing the earlier error: the patch was attempting to patch something that no longer existed in the code.

Here's the new 6.5.2 patch, and a shellscript to help you apply it, attached.

Make sure your /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source directory is pristine. Reinstall 6.5.2 if you have to, in order to return this directory to its unchanged settings, if you had trouble applying the patch earlier.

Use the bash command to run the script:

bash ./vmware-6.5.2-modules-2.6.29-fix.sh

It should now apply cleanly, and there should be no errors.

Hope this helps!

Josh

0 Kudos
90 Replies
vlip
Contributor
Contributor

great patch, works perfectly tnks

0 Kudos
tukeind
Contributor
Contributor

Does Fedora 10 run vmware workstation w/out errors?

0 Kudos
lancerus
Contributor
Contributor

Yes - I run Fedora 10 w/ workstation daily. Works perfect.

0 Kudos
glampshir3
Contributor
Contributor

Bravo Zulu :smileycool:

0 Kudos
glampshir3
Contributor
Contributor

spoke too soon, there does seem to be an issue with "kernel error" upon startup, and when closing a guest machine, the Vmware Workstation program crashes.

--Geff

0 Kudos
Palooka
Contributor
Contributor

Krellan,

Great job. Very many thanks. Will you be releasing a patch for Player 2.5.3 (Linux kernel 2.6.29)?

Cheers,

Palooka

0 Kudos
Krellan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

palooka: It seems that there is NO PATCH NEEDED for VMware Workstation 6.5.3 on Linux 2.6.29.

I only have used Workstation, though, not Player.

Here's my report of success for VMware Workstation 6.5.3 on Linux 2.6.31: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/230743

Please try upgrading to VMware Player 2.5.3, which should catch up with many of the improvements made in Workstation.

Does it work now, or is it still broken?

0 Kudos
Palooka
Contributor
Contributor

Krellan,

Again, very many thanks for your sterling work.

I hadn't actually tried Player 2.5.3, since 2.5.2 was working fine after your patch. However, I've installed Player 2.5.3 on Fedora 11 (kernel 2.6.30.5-43.fc11.i686.PAE) successfully now, without patching. I did a complete removal of 2.5.2 first (plus rm the previous backups).

It didn't quite work "out of the box" though; the installer hung (I was using the rpm) halfway through. I had to kill a couple of child processes, as another poster described, without exiting the install process. Then it completed successfully.

After completion, I did an extra "vmware-modconfig --console --install-all" just to be sure. At the moment. I have only one VM - Windows XP. Everything therein is working fine.

Thanks again,

Palooka

0 Kudos
JimWest
Contributor
Contributor

The VMware Workstation 6.5.2 kernel 2.6.29 patch compiled the VMware modules and allows me to install and run VMware Workstation 6.5.2 on Fedora 11 with Kernel 2.6.30.5-43.fc11.x86_64 #1 SMP.

When I run a shutdown on a virtual host running under VMware Workstation, a root vmware process running the virtual host remains running.

This causes VMware Workstation unable to "power on" the virtual host, without first manually killing the root process still running part the virtual host.

When the virtual host is a Windows XP virtual host, starting XP backup is difficult.

Here is an example of a vmware virtual ubuntu process still running after shutting down ubuntu:

root 12591 1 5 08:07 ? 00:03:59 /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmx -# product=1;name=VMware Workstation;version=6.5.2;buildnumber=156735;licensename=VMware Workstation for Linux;licenseversion=6.0 build-156735; -@ pipe=/tmp/vmware-root/vmx9d7c619184d0cf60;readyEvent=153 /RAID5/vmware/ubuntu/Ubuntu.vmx

The file or pipe /tmp/vmware-root/vmx9d7c619184d0cf60 does not exist, yet the process 12591 is still running. It is not possible to power up ubuntu without first killing this process.

If anyone recognizes this process and has any suggestions for resolving this problem, I would appreciate any suggestions.

This problem exists shutting down any virtual host in my Fedorar 11 SMP x86_64 installation.

My Fedora 11 system is:

Linux Sanibel 2.6.30.5-43.fc11.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Aug 27 21:39:52 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Perhaps someone else has seen this problem and found a fix for it.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim West

E-Mail:

0 Kudos
JimWest
Contributor
Contributor

Thru some googling, I learned of the problem with the usb controller for guest hosts in VMware Workstation 6.5.2 in the Fedora 11 kernel 2.6.30-5 on x86-64 SMP servers.

When the usb controller of a guest host is removed, the virtual host shutdown is eliminated.

While this is a good work around, many users would like to use usb devices with their virtual hosts, so a fix to this problem is needed.

If anyone knows if a patch to fix this problem exists for VMware Workstation 6.5.2, or whether this problem has been fixed in VMware Workstation 6.5.3, please post a reply.

Thanks,

Jim West

E-Mail:

0 Kudos
ElectroVM
Contributor
Contributor

Krellan,

I know this might be asking a bit much, but do you think you can come up with a patch that will allow VMPlayer 1.0.9 to work with 64bit Centos using 2.6.29.4 (from kernel.org) ? I don't have the option to upgrade to the latest VMplayer right now. Or if you feel giving, let me know how I can do it myself? Or is it even possible?

Thanks.

Here is the vmmon error:

Configuring fallback GTK+ 2.4 libraries.

In which directory do you want to install the mime type icons?

What directory contains your desktop menu entry files? These files have a

.desktop file extension.

In which directory do you want to install the application's icon?

Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Player is suitable for your

running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for

your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)?

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running

kernel?

Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.

Building the vmmon module.

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.

make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only'

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.29.4/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.29.4'

CC /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o

In file included from /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/./include/vmware.h:25,

from /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:48:

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/./include/vm_basic_types.h:158: error: redefinition of typedef 'uintptr_t'

include/linux/types.h:40: error: previous declaration of 'uintptr_t' was here

In file included from /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/./include/x86.h:20,

from /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/./include/machine.h:24,

from /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.h:15,

from /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:49:

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/./include/x86apic.h:79:1: warning: "APIC_BASE_MSR" redefined

In file included from /usr/src/linux-2.6.29.4/arch/x86/include/asm/numa_64.h:5,

from /usr/src/linux-2.6.29.4/arch/x86/include/asm/numa.h:4,

from /usr/src/linux-2.6.29.4/arch/x86/include/asm/acpi.h:28,

from /usr/src/linux-2.6.29.4/arch/x86/include/asm/fixmap_64.h:15,

from /usr/src/linux-2.6.29.4/arch/x86/include/asm/fixmap.h:7,

from /usr/src/linux-2.6.29.4/arch/x86/include/asm/apic.h:8,

from /usr/src/linux-2.6.29.4/arch/x86/include/asm/smp.h:13,

from include/linux/smp.h:36,

from include/linux/topology.h:33,

from include/linux/mmzone.h:767,

from include/linux/gfp.h:4,

from include/linux/kmod.h:22,

from include/linux/module.h:13,

from /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:12:

/usr/src/linux-2.6.29.4/arch/x86/include/asm/apicdef.h:132:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

In file included from /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/./include/machine.h:24,

from /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.h:15,

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/./include/x86.h:830:1: warning: "PTE_PFN_MASK" redefined

In file included from /usr/src/linux-2.6.29.4/arch/x86/include/asm/pda.h:8,

from /usr/src/linux-2.6.29.4/arch/x86/include/asm/current.h:19,

from /usr/src/linux-2.6.29.4/arch/x86/include/asm/processor.h:15,

from include/linux/prefetch.h:14,

from include/linux/list.h:6,

from include/linux/module.h:9,

from /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:12:

/usr/src/linux-2.6.29.4/arch/x86/include/asm/page.h:22:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

In file included from /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.h:20,

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:37:5: warning: "VMW_HAVE_EPOLL" is not defined

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:43:5: warning: "VMW_HAVE_EPOLL" is not defined

In file included from /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.h:20,

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:60: error: conflicting types for 'poll_initwait'

include/linux/poll.h:67: error: previous declaration of 'poll_initwait' was here

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:60: error: conflicting types for 'poll_initwait'

include/linux/poll.h:67: error: previous declaration of 'poll_initwait' was here

In file included from /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/vmhost.h:13,

from /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:71:

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/./include/compat_semaphore.h:5:27: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory

In file included from /tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:80:

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/./include/compat_kernel.h:21: error: syntax error before "compat_exit"

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/./include/compat_kernel.h:21: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `_syscall1'

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/./include/compat_kernel.h:21: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:144: error: unknown field `nopage' specified in initializer

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:145: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:148: error: unknown field `nopage' specified in initializer

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:149: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: In function `LinuxDriver_Ioctl':

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1656: error: structure has no member named `euid'

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1656: error: structure has no member named `uid'

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1657: error: structure has no member named `fsuid'

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1657: error: structure has no member named `uid'

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1658: error: structure has no member named `egid'

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1658: error: structure has no member named `gid'

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1659: error: structure has no member named `fsgid'

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1659: error: structure has no member named `gid'

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1661: error: structure has no member named `dumpable'

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1672: error: too many arguments to function `smp_call_function'

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: At top level:

/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only/./include/compat_kernel.h:21: warning: '_syscall1' declared `static' but never defined

make[2]: *** Error 1

make[1]: *** Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.29.4'

make: *** http://vmmon.ko Error 2

make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config4/vmmon-only'

Unable to build the vmmon module.

For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please

visit our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html" and

"http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html".

Execution aborted.

0 Kudos