VMware Communities
Krellan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is patch for Workstation 6.5.2 on Linux 2.6.29 kernel

Here we go again, with VMware Workstation 6.5.2 (including VMware Player 2.5.2).

Here is a patch to get their modules to cleanly build on Linux kernel version 2.6.29.

It's a followup from this earlier thread, that was for the earlier 6.5.1 version:

http://communities.vmware.com//thread/202340

The changes between 6.5.1 and 6.5.2 are minimal. VMware, thankfully, no longer attempts to re-define the APIC_BASE_MSR symbol, making one part of the patch no longer necessary on 2.6.29, so it has been removed. That was what was causing the earlier error: the patch was attempting to patch something that no longer existed in the code.

Here's the new 6.5.2 patch, and a shellscript to help you apply it, attached.

Make sure your /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source directory is pristine. Reinstall 6.5.2 if you have to, in order to return this directory to its unchanged settings, if you had trouble applying the patch earlier.

Use the bash command to run the script:

bash ./vmware-6.5.2-modules-2.6.29-fix.sh

It should now apply cleanly, and there should be no errors.

Hope this helps!

Josh

0 Kudos
90 Replies
Maeuseturm
Contributor
Contributor

As described here...

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/208963?start=15&tstart=0

...it won't compile VMware workstation 6.5.2 64-bit on kernel 2.6.30 Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
skolnick
Contributor
Contributor

I noticed the exact same thing. The modules build (and mostly work), but throwing lots of these MSCVER and __FreeBSD__ warnings. Also, when powering on a virtual machine, it will not poweroff (it seems to timeout somehow) and finally it leaves the processes running under the hood, but the GUI reporting the VM as powered off and the lock folders still in the VM's folder. I would say these patch is very near to fully working, but not there regretably. Very good effort tough, and kudos to the developer. If it can be fixed, I'll be happy to test.

Regards.

Edit: I'm running Fedora 11 x64, have any other users of Workstation 6.5.2 under linux 2.6.29 seen any problems? or is it only fedora 11 that have them?

0 Kudos
nt4cats
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same "can't shutdown" issue with Fedora 11 x86_64 and VMware Workstation 6.5.2, but am using an (inconvenient) workaround. The issue appears to be with the VMWare GUI -- if I configure my VM's to run in the background after I close the VMWare Workstation GUI, and then use SSH or rdesktop (a.k.a. a Windows Terminal Services client) to access the VM, I can shut it down cleanly ..., so at this point I start my VMs using the VMWare GUI, and then close my VMWare GUI. I then use SSH or rdesktop to interact with the VM (including shutdown), and I have no problems.

This is NOT a fix, but it allows me to get by until one comes along.

0 Kudos
belgab
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've tried this patch for vmware server 2.0.1 x86_64 on a custom 2.6.29.4 kernel since the patch I made for the vmnet kernel module didn't work (HostOnly networking does not work correctly).

However the vmnet module crashes just after being initialized.

Any clue of the possible cause?

What kernel configuration are you using?

Regards,

Gabriele

0 Kudos
DiscoM
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your patch, i works like a charm on the Fedora 11 Kernel(2.6.29.4-167).

Regards.

0 Kudos
gmarcotte3
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the patch, first it was untaring the modules into the wrong place tar xf vmmon-temp.tar --> vmmon-only then checking to see if its in vmmon-temp-only so the commad script is wrong

Found tar file for vmci module

Found tar file for vmci-temp module

Found tar file for vsock-temp module

Using patch file: /home/tranquility/software-unix/stuv/vmware/fedora-core11-kernal-fix/vmware-6.5.2-modules-2.6.29-fix.patch

Using module directory: /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source

Using backup directory: /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source-backup

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source

Untarring vsock.tar

Untarring vmnet.tar

Untarring vmmon-temp.tar

Sorry, vmmon-temp.tar tarball failed to extract the directory vmmon-temp-only

some one please tell me how to run vmware 6.5.2 (VMware-Workstation-6.5.2-156735.i386) on fedora 11

I have done:

su -

yum install kernel-devel kernel-headers gcc

yum groupinstall "Development Tools" "Development Libraries"

rpm -q kernel

kernel-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i586

when I installed the VMware-Workstation-6.5.2-156735.i386.rpm it said successfull but there was some ascii code proble:

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 55: ordinal not in range(128)

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/tmp/vmis.MGL4GW/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/handlers.py", line 73, in emit

if self.shouldRollover(record):

File "/tmp/vmis.MGL4GW/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/handlers.py", line 146, in shouldRollover

msg = "%s\n" % self.format(record)

File "/tmp/vmis.MGL4GW/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/__init__.py", line 630, in format

return fmt.format(record)

File "/tmp/vmis.MGL4GW/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/__init__.py", line 421, in format

s = self._fmt % record.__dict__

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 64: ordinal not in range(128)

File "/tmp/vmis.MGL4GW/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/handlers.py", line 73, in emit

File "/tmp/vmis.MGL4GW/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/handlers.py", line 146, in shouldRollover

File "/tmp/vmis.MGL4GW/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/__init__.py", line 630, in format

File "/tmp/vmis.MGL4GW/install/vmware-installer/python/lib/logging/__init__.py", line 421, in format

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 95: ordinal not in range(128)

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 64: ordinal not in range(128)

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 95: ordinal not in range(128)

Installing VMware Workstation 6.5.2

Copying files...

Configuring...

Installation was successful

I dont want to roll back to fedora 9 or 10 because of this issue. if I cant getting running then no more vmware

~~~~(\_~~~~
0 Kudos
aaronkclark
Contributor
Contributor

This worked like a charm. Thank You!!

0 Kudos
slavek1979
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all clever guys!

I just start with fedora so can anyone please explain me how exactly use the patch. I know this is silly for you guys but for me it's really confusing.

Can you let me know step after step where to put the patch and how to run it?

Many thanks

slavek

$ rpm -qa kernel*

kernel-headers-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64

kernel-firmware-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.noarch

kerneloops-0.12-5.fc11.x86_64

kernel-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64

kernel-devel-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64

$ rpm -qa gcc*

gcc-c++-4.4.0-4.x86_64

gcc-4.4.0-4.x86_64

Message was edited by: slavek

0 Kudos
gmarcotte3
Contributor
Contributor

I cant get the fix it script to work either it generates some errors in the compile part:

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmmon-only/./include/vm_atomic.h:1536:7:

warning: "_MSC_VER" is not defined

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmmon-only/common/vmciSharedMem.h:28:

error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before

'VMCISharedMemInfo'

make[2]: ***

Error 1

make[1]: ***

Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory

`/usr/src/kernels/2.6.29.4-167.fc11.i686.PAE'

make: *** http://vmmon.ko Error 2

Sorry, problem compiling the vmmon

module after it was patched

You must restore from this backup

directory:

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source-backup

george

~~~~(\_~~~~
0 Kudos
Isper
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you a lot, great job!

Can I ask you to make the same patch on 2.6.29 or 2.6.30 kernel for VMware Workstation 6.5, Build 99530 Beta?

This package has a ReTrace feature inside but has the same problem running on Linux distrs...

0 Kudos
hamannboy
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm.. it has been a while, but I think it was something like this.

1. Install VMware, I used the TAR.GZ

2. su

3. unzipp patch -> I copied to /usr/lib/vmware/modules

4. cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules

5. ./vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

0 Kudos
craigCS
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Josh, great work!

0 Kudos
gmarcotte3
Contributor
Contributor

could some one answer the question?. is there a patch or update to make 6.5.2 (VMware-Workstation-6.5.2-156735.i386.rpm) on fedora 11??>?

the fixit script I am using does not work does not compile see above. modules will not load

what is the full proceedure?

~~~~(\_~~~~
0 Kudos
slavek1979
Contributor
Contributor

You are the man, mate.

The VMware is working as should.

Just quick info for dummies like me:

To run this fantastic script you have to change the file attributs - chmod and then just run it.

Many thanks to all

0 Kudos
gmarcotte3
Contributor
Contributor

the script runs...

the compile is failing..

~~~~(\_~~~~
0 Kudos
dissection
Contributor
Contributor

This worked, thank you!

However, it hangs when I shut down the guest OS. I don't know if it's related.

0 Kudos
dissection
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using it on Fedora 11 and it works. Just follow the instructions given. There is nothing else that needs to be done.

0 Kudos
johnckendall
Contributor
Contributor

It works mostly. Seems to be intermittently slow and hangs when I try to shut down the OS. Meaning it does not shut down cleanly. Also takes a lot longer to startup than it did on fedora 10.

also note that after "shutdown" the vmware-vmx process is still running and has to be killed manually.

0 Kudos
gmarcotte3
Contributor
Contributor

I noticed too. finaly go vmware to install and it runs but when I shut down a vm it hangs, but works fine otherwise (can switch between vm and host ok, can edit machine settings)

~~~~(\_~~~~
0 Kudos
slavek1979
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone know how to fix sound on vmware?

I am on KDE and I have got no problems with sound on host machine. I can not get it working on quest. Please help!

0 Kudos