VMware Communities
Krellan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is patch for 2.6.30 kernel for Workstation 6.5.2

By popular demand, here is an update of my original patch. It now works on 2.6.30 (I tested on 2.6.30-rc4). I'm using VMware Workstation 6.5.2.

This patch runs exactly the same as my earlier 2.6.29 patch script, which was here:

http://communities.vmware.com//thread/203231

The instructions are exactly the same as before. Download the patch, and also, download the script to help you apply it. There should be 2 attachments to this message.

Use the bash command to run the script, as root. (Look at the script first, so you know I didn't put something nasty in it!):

bash ./vmware-6.5.2-modules-2.6.30-fix.sh

It should now apply cleanly, and there should be no errors.

If there were errors, please restore your original VMware modules from backup. If you earlier tried the 2.6.29 patch script, and it failed because you're running the 2.6.30 kernel, then you'll need to undo my previous patch before trying this patch. Here's the command that will restore your earlier VMware modules:

cp -v /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source-backup/* /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source

This will restore your modules to their earlier pristine condition (hopefully), and you can now try again to run the 2.6.30 script.

I tried this and it works to run my virtual machines under 2.6.30. There are very few changes between 2.6.29 and 2.6.30 from VMware's point of view, which makes it minimally invasive. Let me know how this works.

Josh

0 Kudos
52 Replies
treepeter
Contributor
Contributor

@ martyfelker

Do you use Debian Lenny? v5.02?

Is it a self build Kernel 2.6.30.1-amd64 ?

Greetings

0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interestingly VMware Workstatiion E.X.P installs without using the patch at all on Debian Lenny 5.02 Kernel 2.6.30-1-amd64!!

Weird. Perhaps VMware has included the patch in the beta??

Since I have WS 6.5.2 (licensed) installed on Windows 7 host and Linux versiion on Sabayon host (using 2.6.29 patch! ) think I'll just use the beta. I can and have copied VM's from one OS to another and ran them on standard or beta without a problem.

Marty Felker

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
Krellan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi all!

I've posted a new patch, that will work for Linux 2.6.30. It will also work for 2.6.29 and 2.6.31.

It's in this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/221724

This new patch now supersedes all of my earlier patches. Hopefully this will solve a lot of problems that people had with the earlier patches.

You might need to restore your VMware Workstation 6.5.2 installation from backup, or at least the /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source directory. The new patch script now looks at the original modules in a much more careful way, and backs them up in a much safer way that can be ran more than once without causing failure. Unfortunately, to do this, I had to make it incompatible with the original script.

So, copy back your /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source directory from backup, or just reinstall VMware Workstation 6.5.2, and you should be OK.

Hope this helps!

Josh

0 Kudos
hohndel
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your work on this. The new patch does the trick for me (2.6.31-rc3 on F11 32bit)

0 Kudos
riftware
Contributor
Contributor

Hey folks - the last patch applied cleanly but I'm getting an error when it does the testcompile of the vmnet module (the other modules compile successfully) - any ideas appreciated.

If it makes any difference I'm using the suse factory kernel complete with its src and modules : 2.6.30.1-3-default #1 SMP 2009-07-15 09:08:18 -0700 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.30.1-3-default/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.30.1-3-obj/x86_64/default'

make -C ../../../linux-2.6.30.1-3 O=/usr/src/linux-2.6.30.1-3-obj/x86_64/default/. modules

CC /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/driver.o

CC /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/hub.o

CC /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/userif.o

CC /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.o

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.c: In function ‘VNetNetIfSetup’:

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.c:201: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘init’

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.c:202: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘open’

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.c:203: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘hard_start_xmit’

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.c:204: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘stop’

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.c:205: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘get_stats’

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.c:206: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘set_mac_address’

/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet-only/netif.c:207: error: ‘struct net_device’ has no member named ‘set_multicast_list’

make[4]: *** Error 1

make[3]: *** Error 2

make[2]: *** Error 2

make[1]: *** Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.30.1-3-obj/x86_64/default'

0 Kudos
riftware
Contributor
Contributor

jwards 2.6.31 patch works for me with the Suse 2.6.30 kernel none of the other patches worked - the "smart patch" I found elsewhere in the threads didn't, probably because it detected kernel 2.6.30 and tried to run the 2.6.30 patch for it. I'm guessing that Suse backports stuff into the 2.6.30 kernel from 2.6.31 which caused my grief.

0 Kudos
eric_heilig
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

This worked wonderfully for me with 2.6.30.3.

Much Appreciated!

Eric

0 Kudos
LiveStrong
Contributor
Contributor

hi ,

i am trying use your patch but , it doesn't work, here is a ouput from terminal:

sudo bash ./vmware-6.5.2-modules-2.6.30-fix.sh

Found tar file for vsock module

Found tar file for vmblock module

Found tar file for vmmon module

Found tar file for vmppuser module

Found tar file for vmci module

Found tar file for vmnet module

Using patch file: /home/lazzio/Preberanie/vmware-6.5.2-modules-2.6.30-fix.patch

Using module directory: /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source

Using backup directory: /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source-backup

Untarring vsock.tar

Untarring vmblock.tar

Untarring vmmon.tar

Untarring vmppuser.tar

Untarring vmci.tar

Untarring vmnet.tar

Testing patch

./vmware-6.5.2-modules-2.6.30-fix.sh: line 66: patch: command not found

Sorry, problem with the patch, I can't apply it

I'm normally downloaded workstation from a web and installed it.

I'm using 2.6.30-ARCH archlinux

sorry for my english , thanks a lot Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mirecek
Contributor
Contributor

I use new patchand unsuccessfully

root@hal:/home/vmware# ./*.sh

Found tar file for vsock module

Found tar file for vmblock-temp module

Found tar file for vmci module

Found tar file for vmppuser module

Found tar file for vmci-temp module

Found tar file for vsock-temp module

Found tar file for vmppuser-temp module

Found tar file for vmnet module

Found tar file for vmnet-temp module

Found tar file for vmmon module

Found tar file for vmmon-temp module

Found tar file for vmblock module

Using patch file: /home/vmware/vmware-6.5.2-modules-2.6.30-fix.patch

Using module directory: /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source

Using backup directory: /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source-backup

Untarring vsock.tar

Untarring vmblock-temp.tar

Sorry, vmblock-temp.tar tarball failed to extract the directory vmblock-temp-only

root@hal:/home/vmware#

0 Kudos
Krellan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello again.

The patch in this thread has been REPLACED by a newer patch, that will work for most of the Linux kernel versions from 2.6.29, 2.6.30, and 2.6.31.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/221724

If you are still running VMware Workstation 6.5.2, please try this patch. Uninstall then reinstall VMware Workstation, to clean things out, if they were messed up from previous attempts at failed patches.

Thanks!

Josh

0 Kudos
phoenix89
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried applying all the patches that have been posted and it now leads me to question where this error that I have been getting is relevant. Whenever I try to run vmware i get a error stating a bunch of modules have no been installed.

-

$ vmware

Logging to /tmp/vmware-phoenix/setup-7126.log

ERROR: modinfo: could not find module vmmon

ERROR: modinfo: could not find module vmnet

ERROR: modinfo: could not find module vmblock

ERROR: modinfo: could not find module vmci

ERROR: modinfo: could not find module vsock

0 Kudos
paulsm4
Contributor
Contributor

Krellan -

I can't thank you enough - your patch worked like a charm! Great work!

Q: How did you figure out what the problem was?

Again - the patch and the patch script are both great; they worked flawlessly for me. Thank you!

Sincerely .. Paul Santa Maria

0 Kudos
kpharris31
Contributor
Contributor

I got VMWare Server 2.0.2 to compile in Fedora 12 by first installing the VMware Player binary (just ./VMware* after setting permissions to execute as program or chmod the file to 700.) the modules that won't compile are in /lib/vmware/modules/source. copy these out to the same path in Server or Workstation, as I believe they will be compiled for the running kernel. (uname -r) Check the forums for other dependencies like xinetd. Then when you have your modules, install Server/Workstation, the Player should be uninstalled automaticallly. Anyway I have had good success with the program without ANY patches, which hardly seem to work. I think this is the best way to get modules that are proper, but the installer script will disown them and they must therefore be loaded AND unloaded manually, But being able to log in to your VMs remotely from a brower log-in is REALLY COOL. (don't forget the console plug-in OR that you must enable all the VMware services and xinetd for the program to work. Good luck and God Bless you. -kpharris31@gmail.com Feel free to RSVP, but remember I am but half a noob: BUT I GOT IT RUNNING. VMware was NOT impressed...I got an e-mail asking if I got the previous email....zingah! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos