VMware Communities
rileyb76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Help with Workstation error: VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vmx) NOT_IMPLEMENTED

Guys,

We are running RHEL 6.2 here with VMware workstation 8.0.4.  After one of my users did a "yum update" he received this error attached.

To test, I installed RHEL 6.2 on a clean new drive, ran the updates, tried to start up a known-working VM and also received this same error.  Have you guys see this?

TIA

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dre009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

can i post my dump here also since i'm getting the same error as well?

The vmware-ui-Andre-1388 log file is after a repair install

Problem solve: It was Bitdefender 2013. i unistall it

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As the message says attach the vmware log or under help choose to collect the crash/dump information and upload the zip file. I  believe you can use the help tab to start this -not surprising I guess.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Dre009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

can i post my dump here also since i'm getting the same error as well?

The vmware-ui-Andre-1388 log file is after a repair install

Problem solve: It was Bitdefender 2013. i unistall it

0 Kudos
rileyb76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Heres the log file.  Thanks

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi rileyb76,

Thanks for reporting this and providing the logfile.  I've reproduced the problem here and opened an internal bug to track the issue.

I have found that the 64-bit flavors of RHEL 6.3 are not affected by this, so if you happen to have the opportunity/time to migrate from the 32-bit flavor to the 64-bit flavor of RHEL and were looking for motivation to do so, now might be a good time. Smiley Wink

I'll post back as soon as I have any workarounds/fixes/news to share.

Thanks again,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
rileyb76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Accidentally clicked the ANSWERED link for this thread but its definitely not answered yet.  Don't see a way to mark it unanswered again.

Our guys here are unable to goto 64bit RHEL 6.2 so that won't be a solution.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi rileyb76,

We've figured out what happened here and we're working on a fix to restore compatibility with the change in the Redhat kernel.  In the meantime, our modules guru came up with a workaround which should hopefully get you going again:

==================

I think the easiest workaround is to delete the vmware modules in /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/misc/vm* and also /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary/bld-2.6.32*rhel*, then just start VMware Workstation again. It should automatically figure that it is missing its modules and recompile them.

i.e.:

sudo rm /lib/modules/2.6.32-279.el6.i686/misc/{vmblock.ko,vmci.ko,vmmon.ko,vmnet.ko,vsock.ko}

sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary/bld-2.6.32*

(of course, take care when using sudo or otherwise running commands as root.  If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to ask!)

Then launch VMware Workstation as usual.

==================

Please let me know if that helps!

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Manish_S_Patil
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I faced same issue I didn't uninstall it as BitDefnder is ranked as the top most AntiVirus protection I didn't wanted to move ahead with some other Antivirus software.

Now my issue is resolved with VMware Tools update. Please find the post at http://communities.vmware.com/message/2076799#2076799

0 Kudos
geod
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Removing the VMWARE modules from the kernel worked like a charm!!!!

thx

This is the error I was getting:

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vmx)
NOT_IMPLEMENTED /build/mts/release/bora-744019/bora/vmcore/vmx/main/monitor_init64.c:876
A log file is available in "/vm/Windows7/vmware.log".  A core file is available in "/vm/Windows7/core.4782".  You can request support and include the contents of the log file and the core file. 
To collect data to submit to VMware support, choose "Collect Support Data" from the Help menu.
You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.
We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

0 Kudos
janezkos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

update to vmware player 5 fixes the issue

0 Kudos
kgilbert
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

had a similar issue pop up with a random vm (one of hundreds) running on esx 4.1 as part of vsphere environment.

updating vmtools non-interactively did the trick.

0 Kudos