VMware Communities
toca1337
Contributor
Contributor

Help with Enabling Aero in Windows Vista Guest? WDDM Video Driver Fails

I am using the release build of Workstation 7. The new WDDM video driver for Aero works correctly for Windows 7 guest.

However, the WDDM video driver for Aero does NOT work for Windows Vista SP1 (host is also Windows Vista). Device manager says failure to load WDDM driver (there is an exclamation mark on the driver). Running the test to revise the EXPERIENCE INDEX still shows 1.0 for the graphic driver. Windows update cannot fix the problem (it says driver is up to date). The host option for graphic acceleration is already turned on.

Can someone please help?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
xpando
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. TheWDDM driver fails on Windows7 Guest:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

I am running Windows 7 64bit host and I've tried both Windows 7 32 and 64bit guests. Looks like the Aero feature is pretty hit or miss for now.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Can you post the vmware.log file of the VM? I doubt the VM is running an older hardware version.

There is a note to upgrade the hw version for WDDM driver in the release notes. Let me pull up that. Meanwhile, can you post your vmware.log file please?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Here it is...lifted directly from the release notes...

The WDDM graphics driver included with VMware Workstation 7 is only compatible with virtual machines configured to use the latest virtual hardware version. Check the virtual hardware version if you are experiencing issues with Unity, running multiple monitors, or using Autofit on Windows Vista and Windows 7 guests.

There is an option in Workstation UI to upgrade the hw version.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
xpando
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, Aero is working now. I had to change the hardware version in the vmx file.

old:

virtualHW.version = "6"

new:

virtualHW.version = "7"

I couldnt find where to change this from the UI so I just edited the vmx file in notepad. After rebootig windows installed a slew ofnew drivers (expected since the virtual hardware platform changed).

Found it in the UI. VM->Change Version...

Sometimes it's just too obvious. Guess all thats left now is I need to go purchase the upgrade. 😮

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Glad to hear that solved the problem.

Thanks.

0 Kudos