VMware Communities
PnwGuy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Help w/ Dual Boot Win7/XP Network Driver (workstation 7)

I virtualized a dual boot XP/Win7 physical PC which would only work and boot running Converter 5 within Win7 (no luck with virtualizing XP directly). The good news is the Win7 boot loader works fine in Workstation 7 as a guest and lets me boot to either OS just like the physical machine.

The bad news is I can only set up the VMX file for one OS or the other. Everything but the network adapter seems OK. Converter set up the VMX as:

guestOS = "windows7"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.startConnected = "TRUE"

The above works great for Win7. But when you boot the VM into XP, it can't find any network drivers for the "e1000" network adapter. So I changed the VMX file to:

guestOS = "winxppro"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"
ethernet0.startConnected = "TRUE"

With the above XP works great, but Win7 complains there's no driver for the "ethernet controller". I've installed (and re-installed) VM Tools into both guest OS's.

Is it possible to point two different VMX files at the same VMDK? Is there an ethernet0.virtualDev that works in both XP and Win7?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'd just keep it configured for Windows 7 and the e1000 NIC and add the Windows XP Driver for the e1000 NIC to Windows XP.

Have a look at: On a Windows XP Professional 32-bit guest, the e1000 NIC driver is not automatically available even ...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> Is it possible to point two different VMX files at the same VMDK?

Yes - of course - thats what I would do

0 Kudos