VMware Communities
Pommac
Contributor
Contributor

Help setting up several VM's with different IP's (noob)

Hi,

I'm sorry for this probably noobish question, I don't even know if this is the place to ask this however I'd appreciate some help. I'm running the Windows version of VMware workstation and my goal is simply to set up 4 VM's with different IP's. Now, I've done this with two VM's simply choosing the "bridged"-option in the network settings. It works fine, the host (Vista) and the two VM's (XP) all gets unique IP's. However when following the same proceedure while setting up the third and fourth VM's I can't connect to the network. When these VM's triy to connect to the network there's a problem with renewing the IP-adress.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is itbecause I'm out of free Ip-adresse, but it shouldn't be since I'm only using 5 out of the 8 at the moment?

Your help is much appreciated.

Pommac

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welocme to the forums!

How many free IP addresses does your DHCP server offer? I assume your guests are configured to use DHCP as they got their configuration automatically.

You can try to give the last two guests a static IP to see if communication works for them at all (try to ping them by IP address).

AWo

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Pommac
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

I asked my ISP and they told my I can access 8 dynamic ip-adresses from them. So I guess that means my DHCP-server offers 8 free dynamic IP-adresses, am I right? Is there a way to check how many IP's I'm using out of this 8 and how many of them that's still available? About the DHCP-configuration, I just chose the "bridged"-option in the Network settings when setting up the VM's and they got a unique IP-adress.

Ok, how do I give them a static IP-adress then? One thing I should tell you is I tried switching the Network settings to NAT instead of bridged at the last to guests and it works just fine. However they're given the same IP-adress as the host of course and this is what I want to avoid.

Pommac

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

I asked my ISP and they told my I can access 8 dynamic ip-adresses from them. So I guess that means my DHCP-server offers 8 free dynamic IP-adresses, am I right?

I would say: yes.

Is there a way to check how many IP's I'm using out of this 8 and how many of them that's still available?

If you have access to the ISP's DHCP server...or count the number of NIC's which are configured to use DHCP.

About the DHCP-configuration, I just chose the "bridged"-option in the Network settings when setting up the VM's and they got a unique IP-adress.

Using DHCP is the default for most OS. So that is related to your guest OS, not VMware.

Ok, how do I give them a static IP-adress then? One thing I should tell you is I tried switching the Network settings to NAT instead of bridged at the last to guests and it works just fine. However they're given the same IP-adress as the host of course and this is what I want to avoid.

Uhhh, I assume if you get the IP's from your ISP you need to know which ones. Otherwise static IP's might not work.

However, to set static IP's you must configure the TCP/IP stack in your guest OS. So that has to be done in th eguest OS and follows its rules.

If you use NAT the guest receives an internal IP from VMWare and the guest is member of a different (virtual) network. It is hidden to the outside so all packets leaving the guest appears to come from the host in th ephysical network. That saves you at least one IP from you ISP.

AWo

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos