VMware Communities
elkebasel
Contributor
Contributor

Help needed with setup of Virtual Network

I use VMWare Workstation 16 Pro on Windows 10.

Here I have a Debian stretch server and a Windows 19 Server.

As I have services on both, both need to have a static IP and to share the internet with the host.

The host computer is used in my home network with WLAN or LAN and also in the job network VPN, which I can access via Cisco VPN from home and which is included in the local job network automatically.

I am really newbie with networking. I managed somehow to have two VM network adapters, one with a host-only network for the static IP addresses, another, bridged, for sharing the hosts network.

Although I use the automatic bridge, which includes the VPN adapter, I do not get the IP address of the VPN (even not with rebooting the VM). With a separate bridge adapter for the VPN adapter only, I got sometimes the VPN IP, sometimes no IP. Resetting DHCP on the host helped sometimes, sometimes not. This I can solve in the home network by separate VPN connections in the VM, openConnect on debian, cisco on Windows.

Inside my job network I did not manage to get any internet connection inside the VMs.

So if there is anybody who can tell me how to solve this (or say me where to find a tutorial), I would be really happy.

Thank you very much in advance,

Elke

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A network diagram and screenshots of the hardware settings of your VMs and of the Virtual Network Editor would be very useful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
elkebasel
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much, Scott.

Meanwhile I found this: https://superuser.com/questions/842489/vm-share-hosts-vpn-connection/842594

The first solution works locally (but only on linux, not on Windows server) - and it depends from the VPN IP, which is dynamic of course.

So it seems to be the better solution to connect to VPN inside the guest system.

Next week I will have opportunity to make another test in my job network and if the problem there remains I will ask once more ore close this thread.

0 Kudos