VMware Communities
PeteMoss
Contributor
Contributor

Help creating a VM on Win 10 for an old XP system

Hi,

I am new here, so I hope I'm doing this right. This forum operates a little differently from most of the other ones I am familiar with.

I am in the process of replacing an old Win XP desktop (Dell Optiplex 740) with a new Win 10 notebook (Dell Latitude E5470). Unfortunately, there is one critical application that will only run on XP and I will need some time to find a replacement application and then convert 20 years of data.

My plan is to move the entire Win XP installation to a VM on the Win 10 machine. If I understand VMWare products, this should be possible. Looking at KB article 2005129, I should be able to create the portable system using the VCenter Converter. Here’s the link:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2005129&s...

Then, I can install it on the Win 10 machine using Workstation or Player.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I have the details correct?
  2. Once I have it running on the Win 10 machine, I assume I can start it and stop it, right?
  3. Once I start it, will it run in the background if I switch to the Win 10 system?

Is there anything else I need to know before I give this a shot?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AdarshGowda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi PeteMoss‌,

Your understanding is right, one correction in you procedure to convert XP machine to a XP VM

a) Install Workstation in Windows10 Machine (be sure that virtual VT / Hyper threading is enabled in W10 Machine)

b) From here itself you can convert other (Physical / virtual) machines to virtual machine and you can run in workstation too.

fallow the below link to do so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD_y5wTjRqs

And  answers for your 3 questions:

1. Do I have the details correct? Ans: Yes / You have option mentioned above to do so.
  2. Once I have it running on the Win 10 machine, I assume I can start it and stop it, right? Ans: Yes you can start and stop.
  3. Once I start it, will it run in the background if I switch to the Win 10 system? Ans: Yes it will run in background with no worries till your base machine (Windows10) run smoothSmiley Wink.

Thank You

Please Mark As 'Answer' if you find solution by my explanation.

0 Kudos