VMware Communities
liu8bb
Contributor
Contributor

Help!!! Vmware workstation8 cannot use copy & paste

Hi , i have a problem with my Vmware workstation8.0.1 and Ubuntu11.10 64bit edition.
I cannot copy/drag a file(like a  document info.txt) from Guest OS(xp pro) to the Ubuntu(host).
But I can copy/drag a file from  the Ubuntu(host) to the Guest OS(xp pro)? It seems like an  one way copy/drag.
I get an error message like this "Error while copying.There was  an error getting information about "info.txt". Show more details: Error  stating file '/0daa3e28/info.txt':No such file or directory."
My Vmware workstation "Guest isolation" setting "Enable drag and drop" & "Enable copy and paste" are both seleted.And the Vmware tools are correctly installed.
How can i fix this problem?
Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
liu8bb
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone got any ideas?:smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>>>Has anyone got any ideas?

you have a permissions problem on the folder in the guest. I am running Ubuntu 64 11.04 on the host and a W7 guest shows the same message if I try to drag a file to the host from a folder that does not have permission for the current VM user.

Lou

0 Kudos
liu8bb
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,Lou

>>you have a permissions problem on the folder in the guest. I am running Ubuntu 64 11.04 on the host and a W7 guest shows the same message if I try to drag a file to the host from a folder that does not have permission for the current VM user.

>>Lou

And what's your further steps to do with it solving this problem?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>> And what's your further steps to do with it solving this problem?

Well, I guess the simple answer is to set the proper permissions Smiley Happy

For test purposes, put a file in a separate test folder somewhere to isolate it.

Run Windows Explorer, or whatever file manager you use, as Administrator

Open properties for the test file, and go to the security tab.

Click on Advanced,  and un-check the "inherit from parent blah blah" then click copy. With only a single test file, this should happen quickly.

Edit the permissions for "Everyone" (add everyone if it is not one of the entries) and click full control.

OK, OK

Try the drag and drop.

Note that it simplifies matters a lot if you use the same user/password in the guest as the host.

I create an account in Ubuntu named Administrator and give it the same password, etc.

Lou

0 Kudos
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You are taking about windows 7. What about Windows XP? How we will set the permission of that file.

Cheers, Yours Udin

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>>You are taking about windows 7. What about Windows XP?

No, I am talking about the NTFS file system. Doesn't matter if it is XP or W7, or server 2003/2008

Lou

0 Kudos
abrahamlrouse
Contributor
Contributor

low and behold im having the same issue but on linux host and yes i installed and reinstalled openvmtools no results its 2023 and the issue persists WOW

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Better to create a new post after 11 years.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos